We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self drive tour help

Which Cairns Region hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NZ
reviews: 11
self drive tour help

i am planning on staying at either palm cove or port douglas, will have a car and are looking to do a trip to daintree/kuranda, i need help planning this and ensuring I don't miss any must see places - thanks :)

Queensland
reviews: 153
1. Re: self drive tour help

You are wise to have a car if staying at Palm Cove or Pt Douglas and want to do what you have planned, it's just easier. Daintree and Kuranda are in different directions so I would suggest a day each, especially the Daintree as you can continue on to Cape Tribulation. Port Douglas is closer to the Daintree and you can stop at Mossman Gorge for a few hours on the way. Palm Cove is closer to the Kennedy Highway which takes you to Kuranda. From Kuranda you can continue inland to Mareeba, Atherton, LakeTinaroo, Lake Eacham, Lake Barrine, Yungaburra, back through Gordonvale and back into Cairns and Palm Cove. They are both beutiful drives.

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 70
2. Re: self drive tour help

good suggestions from andyoz.

Suggest you leave early for the Lake Eacham , Barrine trip.

I have done a beautiful cruise on lake Barrine- so much birdlife, water snakes etc. Just great. The old house is a lovely tea room now and the gardens speactacular. The are a few walks - I think also at Lake Barrine or was it Eacham with a huge old cedar tree??

Mareeba nice to spend a bit of time with the coffee plantation places- you can do a tour as well of a roasting house...

This is one of my favourite drives in Queensland as its so pretty and underrated.

Make sure you get to the Daintree Discovery Centre . Its an interesting boardwalk above and through the forest.

I would do the KJuranda trip seperate ie. drive to Kuranda, train up and skyway down. You can wander about in Kuranda.

3. Re: self drive tour help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, December 14, 2013