We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours in Panama

Which Nueva Gorgona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 9
Tours in Panama

Hi,

We will be in Gorgona in February for a 6 week period. We are renting a car. Would like to know what are the sites we could see that would be easy driving to. Also, are there Panama Canal tours that are reasonably priced from a local tour company? Thank you for your help.

8 replies to this topic
Deer Park, Texas
reviews: 4
1. Re: Tours in Panama

I just returned from Gorgona yesterday.

I would certainly plan on visiting El Valle which is a small town inside a long extinct volcano. It is a short drive from Gorgona on a very winding but safe road. There is a crafts/fruit market, restaurants and a hot springs spa.

I might suggest that if you flying into Panama City you tour the Canal Zone at that time and return to the city only when you leave. Traffic is absolutely terrible and street signs are frequently missing. You could actually rent your car within the city and take a taxi from the airport.

When you leave PC I would suggest the new bridge instead of the Bridge of the Americas due to traffic.

There is grocery shopping available at Rey or R/S (Riba/Smith). Cafe Coronado was the best restaurant we found but it was only open Friday-Sunday when we we there.

There is a fishing co-op on the beach where you can buy fish and shrimp right off the boat. Deal with a fellow who goes by Pinky. You'll see why.

You can drive up the highway (away from PC and Gorgona) and check out the resorts as well.

Let me know of any other questions you might have.

2. Re: Tours in Panama

Thank you so much for your reply.

What about the water?...have had different responses. Can we drink the tap water in our condo in Gorgona? We will look for Pinky :)

Will the new bridge make our drive longer, but with less traffic? Don't want to be driving at night, so if we pick up friends at the airport in the late afternoon we would like to be back at our condo before dark.

Can you recommend good local tour companies for Panama Canal and other tours?

Thank you for your help.

Madrid, Spain
reviews: 11
3. Re: Tours in Panama

Driving over the new bridge is further but can be faster. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way from Tocumen to the new bridge.

What sort of time do you mean by late afternoon ?

For the canal - do you want to take a transit through the locks. I think that there were some comments against one of the companies recently.

Deer Park, Texas
reviews: 4
4. Re: Tours in Panama

We were warned about drinking the tap water in our condo by theowner. We also used bottled water for our coffee. Based upon our experience the previous post is correct regarding the new and old bridge. I am sorry but I cannot provide canal tour information.

5. Re: Tours in Panama

Thanks for the info.

6. Re: Tours in Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, November 13, 2013

7. Re: Tours in Panama

Thanks for the information!

Panama
reviews: 6
8. Re: Tours in Panama

You are very welcome :) hope u enjoy ur visit :)

Reply to: Tours in Panama
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nueva Gorgona