We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hervey Bay/Sunshine coast over Christmas

Which Sunshine Coast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 7
Hervey Bay/Sunshine coast over Christmas

Hi,

The original plan my wife and I had was to stay in Bryon Bay over Xmas as we are travelling through at that time. But, it is too pricey for our budget so we are looking at what we think is the sunshine coast.

We have friends in Brisbane so want to leave that for after Xmas, but would like to spend 23-26th Dec somewhere chilled, with a nice beach and options for some good food - some info is welcome.

Thanks

Matt

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 48
1. Re: Hervey Bay/Sunshine coast over Christmas

Hervey Bay is about 3.5 hours north of Brisbane and not part of the Sunshine Coast. It is beautiful but fairly quiet. There are no surf beaches there but that means you can swim anywhere so it is less crowded than the Sunshine Coast. There are good eating options there but perhaps not at the same standard as some of the restaurants at Noosa for example. If you are looking for somewhere similar to Byron at the Sunshine Coast I would suggest Noosa but it will be very expensive at that time of year. My favourite is Caloundra but would very happily go to Sunshine Beach, Mooloolooba, Cotton Tree or Maroochydore as well. Anywhere really, it's all good! Caloundra is about one hour north of Brisbane, Noosa is two hours north and then there is everywhere else in between.

Mooloolaba Australia
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
reviews: 63
2. Re: Hervey Bay/Sunshine coast over Christmas

look at Pacific paradise or Marcoola as cheaper options

Edited: 2:16 am, June 09, 2012
brisbane Australia
reviews: 6
3. Re: Hervey Bay/Sunshine coast over Christmas

You may struggle to find budget accomodation on those dates as it is not only Christmas but right in the middle of our school holidays. Noosa will be very pricey. It depends on your age group and interests. My favourite spots would be Cotton Tree or Caloundra- most offer apartment style accomodation, Marcoola and Pacific Paradise might offer cheaper accomodation but are not as close to good restuarants and transport would not be as easy.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 615
4. Re: Hervey Bay/Sunshine coast over Christmas

As mentioned Noosa will be just as expensive or more than Byron Bay. If you look at some of the other beaches along the Sunshine Coast you may find a cheaper option. However; its our summer school hols so everywhere will be charging their top $$$.

Try Alexandra Headland, Mooloolooba, Caloundra or Maroochydore.

Do some research on Wotif to see what suits your budget.

wotif.com/hotels/australia-sunshine-coast-ho…

5. Re: Hervey Bay/Sunshine coast over Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 28, 2013