We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Searching for 3 people to share helicopter flight with

Which Taranaki Region hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Prague, Czech...
reviews: 3
Searching for 3 people to share helicopter flight with

Hi,

we're married couple from Prague and we're planning a trip to New Zealand. I've found an interesting web site http://www.heliview.co.nz and asked them if they are able to arrange a round trip from New Plymouth to Ruapehu: New Plymouth - Mount Taranaki - Ruapehu - Tongariro - Whangamomona - New Plymouth.

The date would be Tue, Nov 27th, 2012. We should arrive to New Plymouth between 9:00 and 10:00 on a flight from Wellington.

Here's the answer I've received:

"Yes we can fly your requested route. Flight time would be 1.8hrs which would cost NZ$3,600.00. We could carry up to 5 passengers on the flight and would suggest a stop over in Ohakune, and if required a 2nd stop in Whangamomona. So plan on being away from New Plymouth for around 4 hours."

I'd be glad if I can find 3 people to share that adventure with us since NZ$3,600.00 is a bit expensive for just 2 people...

P.S. Please, excuse me for my poor English, it's not my native language.

8 replies to this topic
Prague, Czech...
1. Re: Searching for 3 people to share helicopter flight with

I'm closing my request. It's late to make any changes in our itinerary now.

Dunedin, New Zealand
reviews: 4
2. Re: Searching for 3 people to share helicopter flight with

Are you going ahead with the flight itself?

NZ
reviews: 25
3. Re: Searching for 3 people to share helicopter flight with

You can do a basic trip over Mt Egmont for far less than that as part of the usual trips they offer.

Prague, Czech...
4. Re: Searching for 3 people to share helicopter flight with

Joan M:

No, it's quite expensive. We're short of money since we're doing UAE, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore & Malaysia trip. I was willing to spend some money on Ruapehu - Tongariro helicopter flight for a price for 2 persons, ie. 1440 NZD. But I can't pay 3600 NZD. ;-(

Maybe sometime in future...

Prague, Czech...
5. Re: Searching for 3 people to share helicopter flight with

kay01nz:

Yes, I know. But Mt Egmont woudn't be enough for me. :-)

I think we'll travel to New Zealand again to explore more than we can do in November 2012. Then I'll create a special itinerary for the central part of North Island.

Dunedin, New Zealand
6. Re: Searching for 3 people to share helicopter flight with

How sad to miss the experience. But understand the cost issue.

For future reference, if you are travelling to the South Island next time, the heli trips into the snowy peaks and glaciers of the Southern Alps would give you far more return on your dollar.

Amazing topography which is almost unreachable any other way. Away from human habitation, the air is so clear and the scenery so pristine. Breathless

Prague, Czech...
7. Re: Searching for 3 people to share helicopter flight with

Joan M:

I'll keep your recommendation in mind for our next visit. I have realized we needed more time for New Zealand. 9 days, that we're going to spend in NZ in November, is just for a quick touch & smell & taste. I think 3 weeks should be the minimum for this beautiful country.

I look forward to our trip to the foothills of the Southern Alps when we're in Christchurch. We're also visiting Wellington and Auckland. Unfortunatelly, we're not visiting southwest coast of the South Island. :-(

Well, next time...

Dunedin, New Zealand
8. Re: Searching for 3 people to share helicopter flight with

Well, it is great that you are whetting your appetite for future explorations. Unfortunately you won't seeing the Southern Alps in all their winter finery. Sure you will have a great time nonetheless.

Being so much further from the equator, the southern lands are far more seasonal. If making multiple visits, it is good to mix up the seasons to get the fullsome flavour of nature's fashion wardrobe.

For example, for a few short weeks, Autumn can be an amazingly colourful time to travel. From the ruddy vineyards of Marlborough to the deciduously yellow poplars of Central Otago, the country is clothed in a fluttery palette of warm pastel colours.

This fabulously flaunty foliage delightfully frames the reflections of starched linen snowy peaks and the clear azure skies above in the many deep glacial lakes. Lake Wanaka, Lake Tekapo and many other aquamarine jewels breathlessly strut their finest vistas in Autumn.

Please enjoy this amazing country in all its theatrical splendor.

Reply to: Searching for 3 people to share helicopter flight with
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taranaki Region