We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hokkaido Itinerary-8days7nights

Which Kamikawa-cho hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Hokkaido Itinerary-8days7nights

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Hokkaido in June with 4 adults and 3 kids.

We are renting a car with a English speaking driver.

The below itinerary is planned by an officer in JTB.

We are particulat about food and hotel stay but have no idea whether the recommendations are good.

Will appreciate if you can recommend good food and better onsens (if the recommendations are not good) for us.

Which hotel or ryokans to stay if budget is not a problem?

Thank you very much!

The plan is :

Day 1 - arrive in Hokkaido, go Noboribetsu Bear Rauch.

Stay in Hotel Mahoroba.

Day 2 - Sobetsu Fruit Picking, Lake Toya

Stay in Toya Kanko Hotel

Day 3 - Otaru, Asahimaya Zoo

Stay in Kourakuen Asahikagawa Hosprings

Day 4 - Ginga & Ryusei Waterfalls or ropeway to Mt Kurodake

Stay in Sounkaku Grand Hotel

Day 5 - Biei, Furano Ice cream making

Stay in New Furano Prince Hotel

Day 6 - Furano, Sapporo, return car before luch time

Stay in Jasmac Plaza Hotel

Day 7 - Free n Easy

Stay in Jasmac Plaza Hotel

Day 8 - Sayonaro

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
reviews: 28
1. Re: Hokkaido Itinerary-8days7nights

Looks all fine to me.

You are actually hiring an English speaking driver???? It really isn't necessary to spend that kind of extra money on a holiday here, there is a lot of English information, the roads are easy to drive and the places you are going to are easy to find.

Why not cancel the driver and just drive yourself?

Spend the money on delicious Hokkaido food!

Amanda

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
2. Re: Hokkaido Itinerary-8days7nights

I agree with Amanda. If you can drive, do the drive yourself. Hokkaido is one of the best places to drive in Japan. Driving there is very similar to driving in parts of the US and Europe.

singapore
3. Re: Hokkaido Itinerary-8days7nights

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the information.

This is my first time in Hokkaido.

Is it really easy to get around?

I am travelling with my parents and 3 kids age 2,6 and 9. Also my husband but who has just recovered from stroke.

Considering the above factors, I am the only one who can drive around. IS it advisable since my 2 year old still needs me to attend to him? Will i be burnt out from this trip?

Thanks for your advice!

singapore
4. Re: Hokkaido Itinerary-8days7nights

Hi guys,

They are charging me about 420000yen for the car and driver . is it too expensive or worth the money based on my circumstances?

Regards

Edited: 1:11 am, April 16, 2010
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
5. Re: Hokkaido Itinerary-8days7nights

Only you can determine how much is too much in your situation. If you rent your own car (say a comfortable large van like Toyota Alphard), it should cost about 150,000 Yen for 8 days.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 74
6. Re: Hokkaido Itinerary-8days7nights

420,000 yen seems like a lot... I agree with the others and tend to suggest just rent a car and rely on the GPS. When I was in Hokkaido I was suprise to see that it's not that difficult to navigate. People can speak simple English, although it'll help if you can speak little Japanese (I only know to ask where to go, left, right, that's it).

Other suggestion is take the tour buses that's offered at the JR stations. It's really value for money although a bit rush.

7. Re: Hokkaido Itinerary-8days7nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, November 16, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Kamikawa-cho