We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria

Which Marloth Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durban, South Africa
Malaria

Please assist, my husband and I are going to our friends house in Marloth Park for Christmas and New year this year and I will be 16 weeks pregnant when we leave on the 22nd December. I have twins on the way and don't want to take any risks. What precautions can I take? Generally mozies don't bite me, but they might. The house and rooms are airconditioned and I have bought shower gel especially to keep bugs/mozzies away, also Citronella candles, those coils you burn at night and the ones you plug in, also tabbard and peaceful sleep. Will I be ok or should we rather not go? Is Marloth considered a high risk area.

6 replies to this topic
South Africa
reviews: 61
1. Re: Malaria

Well go a travel clinic nearby you and ask them!

Have a good x mas.

Hazyview, South...
reviews: 10
2. Re: Malaria

Marloth is on the outskirts of KNP towards Mocambique and according to the DoH a high risk area and your are travelling in the high risk months.

malaria.org.za/Malaria_Risk/…risk_maps.htm

Why not ask your friends, they should have the best "hands on" experience.

Dont forget, although high risk, there are people living constantly and also being pregnant and having babys. I have no experience wrt prophylaxis and being pregnant. That a doctor must answer.

But that is MY OPINION and not based on ANY medical background.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 9:17 am, December 03, 2012
Durban, South Africa
3. Re: Malaria

I have been to a travel clinic, but wasnt much help. That's why been googling myself to try find out. Thanks for replying though. Much appreciated.

Washington DC...
reviews: 9
4. Re: Malaria

What risks you assume are your choices only and taking advice from anyone at a forum when it comes to babies-on-the-way seems to me not the way to go. I would think you would want to thoroughly discuss this with your doctor(s). Users of this forum often point to what they consider the gold standard of advice on malaria prevention and I recommend you read through it (see page 15 maybe) before speaking with doctors and before you make a decision. The link is: doh.gov.za/docs/…malaria_prevention.pdf

Good luck with your decision.

South Africa
reviews: 61
5. Re: Malaria

My personal opinion, if you are expecting, donot go to a malaria area. Very simple. Donot risk the life of your unborn child.

Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 12
6. Re: Malaria

As it is a high risk area and time I'd recommend you take as many precautions as possible. Like Annemieke said the best prevention is not to go but there are millions of women that is pregnant and live in malaria areas.

I know that certain prophylaxis can be taken during pregnancy but it is best to speak with your doctor about which anti-malarial drugs is recommended. The choice is really up to you.

Reply to: Malaria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marloth Park