We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pucini Opera Festival

Which Torre del Lago Puccini hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Frankfurt3b
reviews: 26
Pucini Opera Festival

Hi,

Did anybody go to the Puccini festival in Torre del Lago. Any impressions? advises? Is it woth the money? What is the advise for logistics?

9 replies to this topic
Surrey, United...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Pucini Opera Festival

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187898-i832-k3816…

Frankfurt3b
2. Re: Pucini Opera Festival

Thank you very much, mesh.

I looked up this posting before it is not very coinsise .

I read that there are 40,000 visitors a year and I would like to have more advise.

Thanks a lot

Stourbridge
3. Re: Pucini Opera Festival

I went to the Festival on 30/07/11 and it was very well run, but there is no programme or libretto. More important is that operas end at 1.00am in the morning and taxis are prohibitively expensive.(70 euro) However the Puccini line(www.clublucca.it/e-mail:info@clublucca.it) runs air-con coaches that pick up in Lucca,Forte dei Marmi,Fiumetto,Tonfano(10euro return) and from Lido di Camaiore,Viareggio(8 euro return). Try and book before mid-day. Tel;0583517602/517567. The service was excellent and they go right down to the Festival, unlike other coaches. It is impossible to get back from the Festival otherwise, although public transport (CLAP Route 35 from Piazza d'Azeglio in Viareggio goes every 30mins till 8pm. The Puccini Museum opens in the afternoon but allows small parties only

Edited: 8:16 am, August 04, 2011
Frankfurt3b
4. Re: Pucini Opera Festival

To close it - we went to see Turandot, I bought the tickets in the second price class (93 Euro) and we had great seats, and even moved closer as there were free seats in the back rows of the higher category.

We had binoculars and it came to be very useful to see the mimic and the faces.

But it was nothing special and not really worth the money and the effort. The singers were OK, but nothing more , no stars. The choir was as if from the neighboring town. The sound was poor and there were no text screens as in many opera houses today. We read the story before , but it was a ongoing guessing what happens.

France
reviews: 23
5. Re: Pucini Opera Festival

Hi - we are just back from the Festival at Torre del Lago and went to Madame Butterfly and La Boheme - neither of which engaged us at all. The singers in La Boheme were better than Butterfly but we have decided that we will not go again. This was our second visit but it will be our last. The orchestra was second rate as were the singers. However, it is a lovely setting and we managed a visit to Puccini's house which was special. There were empty seats but I cannot help but feel that they are missing a superb opportunity here by not having better singers and musicians.

London, United...
6. Re: Pucini Opera Festival

Very helpful ,thank you .I was thinking of going but may not make the effort as the cost is high and I like professional settings so I may just pay to go to the Royal Opera House and dinner in Covent Garden !!

Frankfurt3b
7. Re: Pucini Opera Festival

Wise decision. I regret nobody wrote that before. You will enjoy it much more in London.

Stourbridge
8. Re: Pucini Opera Festival

Having been to both Covent Garden and La Scala, going to the Puccini Festival is rather different. It is obviously open-air with all the problems acoustically that that entails. But that is not the sole reason for going. It is worth going for the experience of the Festival, and certainly the most expensive seats are not as good as at similar venues outdoors. La Boheme was a perfectly creditable performance, but not to the standard of a world-class venue. That is not the only reason you go. Anyway, it's not difficult to get much cheaper seats.For an Italian experience it's great fun,like Arena,and should be treated as such.The Puccini House and Museum are very atmospheric and well worth making the effort to visit.

Teacher in England
reviews: 79
9. Re: Pucini Opera Festival

I went to see Madama Butterfly on August 18th. The experience was fun: sitting under the stars listening to opera, ordering interesting cocktails at the bar (Musetta with limoncello and thyme), and people watching. Although I thought the principal cast and the orchestra were good, the acoustics were dreadful and some characters, Goro in particular, was almost inaudible. Much of the direction seemed no better than an amateur dramatic production – large groups of chorus standing in a static block, unsynchronised business with fans, “comic” scissoring of legs when the bumbling (but still inaudible) matchmaker falls to the ground – and the sets for such a grand production were disappointing. I feel that this festival is trading on its name and location. Much better opera is to be heard elsewhere. If you do go, get there early and see if there are any parking spaces just outside the box office. I parked along the wall and was the second car to leave the town. The parking space was free and all the official ones were charging five Euros.

Reply to: Pucini Opera Festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Torre del Lago Puccini
More Torre del Lago Puccini Topics