We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puccini Festival vs Arena di Verona

Which Torre del Lago Puccini hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire Dales...
reviews: 1
Puccini Festival vs Arena di Verona

Can anyone give a comparison of productions at Torre del Lago versus productions at Arena di Verona?

We would love to see Madame Butterlly whilst in Italy this August. Having read the reviews about the problems at the Arena di Verona Mme B, I'm wondering if the production at Torre del Lago would be a better bet. What are the acoustics like there? and the seating arrangements?

Can anyone recommend a good hotel near the Puccini Festival for a family of 3 (including one 18-year-old)? We will have a car.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Laura (Italy First-Timer)

Manchester, New...
1. Re: Puccini Festival vs Arena di Verona

Dear Laura,

We're planning to rent an apartment in Torre del Lago in September that we found on Airbnb.com; the woman's name is Paola and she seems very nice. From the pictures and description she sent, it appears to sleep 3 and has a garage for a small car. I just went to the site and typed in Viareggio, which was our initial plan, but I think this might be nicer.

Good luck, and if you do stay there, would you let me know what you think?

Sonia

Yorkshire Dales...
2. Re: Puccini Festival vs Arena di Verona

Hi Sonia

Wow! Thank you so much for the tip. I've written to Paola and await her reply.

We were attracted to staying within the walls at Lucca, but all the driving and parking restrictions were rather off-putting. One of the Lucca apartment owners said she had seen my message posted on Trip Advisor and mentioned in a non-Forum email that she had seen a wonderful production of Madame Butterfly at the Festival 6 years ago. The only thing that spoiled her experience was the rather long and arduous queue of cars trying to leave the Festival at 1 am.

This totally put off my husband (who's not an opera fan like my son and I are) so I was forced to start looking at the dwindling number of hotel places available in Viareggio despite the fact that I really want to stay in Lucca.

If Paola comes through, I will definitely let you know what the place was like. Looks a lot more basic than the Lucca one, but walking distance to the Festival is a big plus!

Thanks,

Laura

Australian in Lucca
3. Re: Puccini Festival vs Arena di Verona

I wouldn't say that the queue leaving spoiled the experience, but it's something to be aware of when you're leaving.

It's worth noting that unless you stay walking distance from the Festival the queue will be the same if you are leaving in a car, no matter where you stay.

london
reviews: 76
4. Re: Puccini Festival vs Arena di Verona

We have just been there by car and we were staying in Lucca. The best way to avoid the traffic jam after the performance is to park in the one of the car parks at the top end of the approach road to the theatre / lake. i.e. near the town end not the lake. It is 5E to park.

Yorkshire Dales...
5. Re: Puccini Festival vs Arena di Verona

That's very helpful information. Which opera did you see and how was it? Do you have any suggestions about what kind of seats to book at the Puccini Festival? We've left booking until last moment, although we're leaning towards Turandot on the 12th as that's our son's birthday.

We are in Rome right now. We had bought the most expensive seats for a production of Aida last night, but it was cancelled due to thunderstorms! Thankfully they have a reimbursement policy and we were able to exchange our tickets for Rigoletto tonight (fingers crossed for clear skies!). May try to get to Aida at Verona.

London
reviews: 17
6. Re: Puccini Festival vs Arena di Verona

Hi

We saw 2, La Fanciulla del West which was very poor with sub standard acoustics , staging and singing and Tosca which was impressive. So I think it can be a variable feast . in both cases we had the 90E seats and I can imagine it could be quite challenging further back.

7. Re: Puccini Festival vs Arena di Verona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 28, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Torre del Lago Puccini
More Torre del Lago Puccini Topics