We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freaking out about the bad reviews and now bed bugs!!!

Which Playa Carrillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carlisle...
reviews: 4
Freaking out about the bad reviews and now bed bugs!!!

I read two new reviews today about the Riu and I'm ok with a little horse poop on the beach...chalk it up to a new adventure but bed bugs....I can not deal with.

I am considering switching to a different hotel? Is anyone else concerened? I know everyone had different expectations and I truly feel that as long as I am away from it all with my husband how bad can it truly be.

Thoughts?????

Nottingham, UK
reviews: 4
31. Re: Freaking out about the bad reviews and now bed bugs!!!

No Pickles27, I very much think it is not you missing something...

coventry,england
reviews: 8
32. Re: Freaking out about the bad reviews and now bed bugs!!!

No you didn"t miss anything Pickles,just another yank going off on one after reading bad reveiws.There is nothing wrong with RIU hotels and resorts,i have been to loads of them around the world and not had any problems,the problem is is that the americans/canadians standards are a lot higher than any one elses,and the slightest thing out of line they jump on it.

Mags

Mississauga, Canada
33. Re: Freaking out about the bad reviews and now bed bugs!!!

Actually mags I believe that Hrip is Canadian not a "yank" and while I agree that in general North Americans are accustomed to a higher standard of living, I don't think you can paint us all with the same brush. I do agree that in general Americans tend to be more demanding travellers and I take that into consideration when reading reviews from them, but I'd like to think that for the most part Canadians are fairly realistic with their expectations when abroad, at least I am. On the other hand, part of the problem lies with the tourist industry that has a tendency to "over rate" hotels. I think as a traveller that you have every right to expect a level of service comensurate with what is advertised and the price you pay. If a resort advertises itself as a 5 star property then it's patrons have every right to complain if their services don't live up to their expectations. In the case of this property I would say from what is described it is in keeping with the price charged, but it really isn't a 5 star property. The Four Seasons is also billed as a 5 star and from what I can see there is no comparison between these two hotels.

On the other hand, there's a travel program I've seen (can't remember the name) that follows Brits and their experiences in searching for retirement/vacation properties in continental Europe (Spain and Portugal in particular) and you are correct that Americans and Canadians have higher expectations. I'm always amused when I see the show's participants enthused over some run down farm house with crooked walls, barely functioning plumbing, and chickens in the hallway located in the back of beyond. They're certainly more adventurous than I.

Edited: 8:57 pm, February 04, 2011
Hastings, United...
reviews: 6
34. Re: Freaking out about the bad reviews and now bed bugs!!!

Did you mean ' A Place in the Sun'? That is a British TV programme about relocating abroad. There are quite a few, but that is quite a long running one. There is also 'Wanted Down Under', but that is about people wishing to go to Australia/New Zealand for work purposes.

Mississauga, Canada
35. Re: Freaking out about the bad reviews and now bed bugs!!!

Yup - A Place In The Sun. That's the one.

Ottawa, Ontario
36. Re: Freaking out about the bad reviews and now bed bugs!!!

Just got back two days ago from the RIU and definitely no bed bugs - hotel very clean. I must say that I was bitten quite a bit (probably the no see ums) so please bring plenty of bug spray. Sometimes the maids will bring in some little flowers to display in your bathroom or again to display with the towel displays - I am wondering is sometimes the no see ums are hidden in the flowers - just a thought .

The hotel, although beautiful, is very isolated from everything and the beach doesn't get used by many people (as you can guess, no problems getting a lounger). The pools, the food and the staff are all very good.

Good luck with your choice.

Hastings, United...
37. Re: Freaking out about the bad reviews and now bed bugs!!!

Got back last week - NO bed bugs and I found the 'hard' beds very comfortable. I did, however have several things 'walk' from the pool area. Apart from some cash on one occasion, it was silly things, sandels, a cheap bag, magazines (in English, so it was guests), ciggies and, a room key. I think that they were probably taken and thrown by some youngsters who had had a few drinks, just for the hell of it. It happens here too. Security guard (Luis) helped look for them and took me to reception. Rep. said that it was my fault for taking them to the pool! Did she expect me not to smoke and to walk barefoot on the hot tiles? How was I meant to get back in without a key, unless she meant for me to leave it at reception everytime a wanted a quick dip or a drink at the pool bar. Great weather!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
38. Re: Freaking out about the bad reviews and now bed bugs!!!

Thank you to the two prior post...some people have nothing better to do than bad mouth places...really drama queens!

Also for some work I spend a night at RIU not long ago...and everything was perfect...to plastic the place for my taste...but OK otherwise!

roadadvisor

Hastings, United...
39. Re: Freaking out about the bad reviews and now bed bugs!!!

I was not bad-mouthing the place, Luis. I think that it was a couple of kids that had nothing better to do after a few drinks. They probably were not used to drinking and couldn't handle it. I loved el Castillo and La Fortuna area and would definetly go back there again. I just found RIU too big and overpowering. Too many people. I'm more of a nature/animal person than people. I spent most of the time in El Castillo just looking at the birds and the amazing view. Everyone to their own I guess but next time I go on holiday I will stick to somewhere smaller, like I usually do - wherever it is. Would I be better of booking direct when I save up enough money to come back?

40. Re: Freaking out about the bad reviews and now bed bugs!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 15, 2012