We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the safety of the Mount Vernon condos??

Which Orient Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waldorf, Maryland
reviews: 49
What is the safety of the Mount Vernon condos??

Does anyone know what the safety is like here. I have travelled to many other countries before including most of the caribbean and Mexico. However, I am starting to get worried after reading some of the recent posts about the rise in crime. We are travelling there next month and would like to be informed in order to take the appropriate precautions. The owner of the condo assured me there is 24 hr security. What are your thoughts about this complex??

Arkansas
reviews: 12
1. Re: What is the safety of the Mount Vernon condos??

I am not sure which condo you mean, but we stayed in 'condos' in Mount Vernon last year and really liked it. The grounds felt very safe and driving from there to other places was easy.

We came in from driving places after dark only a few times, but we never hung out at night. Although we never felt like we had to have it - we did feel comfortable that we had metal shutters on the patio sliding door that we could close at night or while we were away during the day.

The grounds and pool area were very nice - families around. We never left anything in the rental car.

Washington DC...
reviews: 4
2. Re: What is the safety of the Mount Vernon condos??

We stayed at Mont Vernon condos in Nov. 2011 and are staying there again at the end of this month. On our last trip we felt very safe there as many of the condos are owned by people that live there year round, with their families.There is security, I met at least one guard. It is fairly well lit at night, as we would often go somewhere for dinner, and then have to park in the adjacent lot by the tennis courts. Often there are also people hanging out at the pizzeria and kiosk in front in the evenings

On our last trip we would even walk down the beach to Boo Boo Jams for dinner, and saw other people doing likewise. Now that BooBoo J's burned down I don't think we will try walking after dark down the beach as all the other businesses are quite a bit farther. Maybe we were just lucky, but we felt safe at this location since there really isn't much else near thereto draw people to hang out in that area and we always took precautions such as making sure all doors were locked to our condo when leaving, never leaving anything in our rental car overnight, not leaving anything on our back porch at the condo to tempt passerby's curiosity, and using the in room safe for our valuables while only taking one credit card and only the amount of cash we would need for our outings with us.

I'll write a trip report when we return, but having traveled to europe, Mexico, Jamaica and being a native of N.Y.C. I. feel its safe, as long you use common sense.

Massachusetts
reviews: 1
3. Re: What is the safety of the Mount Vernon condos??

I totally agree with the previous post (markushu). We have stayed there for years and safety concerns are not an issue. Maybe all the paranoia postings will make it easier to book a trip. If you want a totally guaranteed secure experience, there are numerous all inclusive compounds in Jamaica, the Dominican etc... IMHO going to SXM is safer than going to Florida.

Cicero ny
reviews: 25
4. Re: What is the safety of the Mount Vernon condos??

We use to stay at Mt.Vernon when it was all inclusive resort. At some point I would be interested in renting a condo there. Can someone tell is there a website to go to on information on Mt.Vernon. What are the prices on those ?

We walked down the beach to Mt.Vernon and yes there was a security guard on the beach and on the resort.

Canada
5. Re: What is the safety of the Mount Vernon condos??

I rented a studio at Mt Vernon for Apr 2 to 16. There are many on VRBO.com:

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…orient-bay

http://www.vrbo.com/search/caribbean/saint-martin-st-maarten/st-maarten/orient-bay?q=mt+vernon

Cicero ny
reviews: 25
6. Re: What is the safety of the Mount Vernon condos??

Thanks for the information I will look into this.....thanks again.

Connecticut
reviews: 24
7. Re: What is the safety of the Mount Vernon condos??

We rented ours through VRBO. We arrive on Thursday. Prices vary as the condo's are all individually owned. We are paying $695 for the week. Not an ocean view.

Edmonton, Canada
8. Re: What is the safety of the Mount Vernon condos??

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips. I rented a condo through VRBO and given the low season starting Apr30, i got 13 days with ocean/lagoon view for $1100 all in. I thought it was a pretty good deal. you have to get the right renters i think. I am renting from 2 brothers, Amaury is my main contact. They own a restaurant in Grand Case as well.

Anyway, thought i'd say thanks for the security tips! Very excited to go in May!

Arkansas
reviews: 12
9. Re: What is the safety of the Mount Vernon condos??

I rented from them last June. And am renting from them again this May also. They were great. Rooms were wonderful. The complex is nice and the pool is great. You will be pleased.

Ottawa
reviews: 57
10. Re: What is the safety of the Mount Vernon condos??

We are returning to the Mont Vernon for the third time this March. Have always felt safe, certainly much safer than in the Dominican Republic.

We are again renting from two brothers who own several of studios under the business name studio sxm. Cost is $995 US a week in peak season, less in the offseason. We were very pleased the two previous times.

Get answers to your questions about Orient Bay