We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards

Which Shinagawa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, South...
reviews: 4
Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards

Hi,

If i want to travel in Tokyo, which one should I buy and can access all the station? I will need travel with JR east, subway, metro, private railway. Which one is more convenient? Because I'm confusing with the Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Card.

Thank you so much for your help!

12 replies to this topic
Aoyama Dori and San...
reviews: 26
1. Re: Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards

In Tokyo, a Suica or Pasmo card should be fine. Passnet doesn't exist anymore as far as I know.

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 3
2. Re: Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards

Suica and Pasmo can be used interchangeably so it doesn't matter much for the Tokyo area which one you have.

Suica works where there are Pasmo signs and Pasmo works where there are Suica signs (in the Tokyo Metropolitan area).

Passnet cards are no longer sold (replaced by Pasmo).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
3. Re: Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards

As mentioned already, Suica and Pasmo are basically entirely interchangeable within Tokyo. The only difference I can see is where you want to purchase/return your card at the end of your trip. Suica is sold by JR East so you must return the card to JR East to get the refund; Pasmo is sold by subway and private rail companies so you must go to them and get your refund.

Adelaide, South...
4. Re: Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards

Thank you so much!!

Adelaide, South...
5. Re: Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards

is the JR pass is Suica? is it i have to buy before reach Japan or i can buy when i arriving Narita Airport?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 66
6. Re: Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards

The JR pass is not the same as Suica.

The JR pass must be purchased before getting to Japan. http://www.japanrailpass.net/

You can purchase Suica in the train station at Narita. Depending on your destination in Tokyo - http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/ - might be a good value.

Adelaide, South...
7. Re: Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards

i will spend time in tokyo for 9days, and will arrive tokyo on 5th June 2012, and i stay at Shinagawa Price Hotel, and plan to go Universal Studio Japan on 11th June 2012, which card should i buy? JR pass or Suica? JR pass only valid for JR line only or can use with subway and metro and other private railways? You recommend me that buy 7 day pass for the JR pass, but I still confusing. How do the JR pass will save cost? And from my Shinagawa go whatever place, i have to use JR lines, so if i buy the JR pass for 7 days, is it worth?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 66
8. Re: Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards

No - stick to Suica. A JR pass is not a good value for your visit.

However - www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html - is a good value. You can take NEX to/from Shinagawa.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
9. Re: Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards

A JR Pass might save you money but you need to plan your itinerary down to the day for this to be evaluated properly. Did you read my previous response here? It covers most of what you are asking:

tripadvisor.com/…40743169

JR Pass can only be used on JR trains. You cannot use the pass on subway or private rail (non-JR) trains.

Aoyama Dori and San...
reviews: 26
10. Re: Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards

Dave, why is the JR Pass not a good value if she is going to Osaka on the 11th? At worst, it's a break-even. I know it's not a good deal for someone like me who is looking for substantial fare leverage (3x or better) but just the Tokyo-Osaka-Tokyo-Narita stints are going to more than pay for the JR Pass by itself. Any other JR travel including day trips while in Tokyo would certainly make it cost-effective. A day trip to Sendai or even Aomori on the Hayabusa would make it a very good deal.

Reply to: Suica, Pasmo, Passnet Cards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted