We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Various Tokyo Districts

Which Shinjuku hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Pierce, Florida
reviews: 287
Various Tokyo Districts

We are a bit confused about the various sections of Tokyo as we see them on line. Would it be fair and correct to assume that Shinjuku is to Tokyo what Manhattan is to New York City? For example, a tourist to New York City might stay in a midtown Manhattan hotel and never really venture into any other of the five boroughs of NYC. Likewise, within the borough of Manhattan, there are different areas, like Soho, midtown (42nd Street), East Side, Park Avenue, etc. Does this analogy work for Tokyo and if so, what might be comparable to NYC areas?

Billerica, MA
reviews: 3
1. Re: Various Tokyo Districts

No, that analogy doesn't really work well.

Imagine if NYC had not one midtown Manhattans but 10 or 12 of them. Each "midtown Manhattan" has lots of office buildings, but plenty of entertainment areas, restaurants, and residential areas. Well, Shinjuku would be one of those midtown areas, as would several other areas (Shinagawa, Shgibuya, Ikebukoro, Marounuchi, etc), though each area would have its own character.

Now, on top of that, think of some of the slightly less intense areas of NYC: SoHo, Tribeca, Upper East/West sides, Harlem, any of a dozen sections of Brooklyn and Queens, etc -- these might be comparable to some of the other neighborhoods in Tokyo. If I visit NYC 10 times, I might choose to stay in each of these neighborhoods on different trips. Tokyo might be seen as similar. Shinjuku is a neighborhood where there's a lot going on, but there are a great many other neighborhoods where there's a lot going on.

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 107
2. Re: Various Tokyo Districts

I posted this a few days ago:

Manhattan = Yamanote Loop inner area

New Jersey = Chiba

Long Island = Yokohama

Brooklyn = Kawasaki

Queens = Saitama

Except in Japan it is all very clean, no crime, orderly, and perfect delivery. You'll be shocked to find how smooth a megaopolis like Tokyo can run.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
reviews: 48
3. Re: Various Tokyo Districts

I'd expand on that

Shinjuku = fin district

Shibuya - Chelsea/Meatpacking district

Ginza - Park ave/Upper East Side

Roppongi - Lower East side

Akasaka - Brooklyn

Chiyoda - Central Park

4. Re: Various Tokyo Districts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, April 20, 2010