We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chase ATM Card OR Chase Visa Card

Which Minato hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Chase ATM Card OR Chase Visa Card

I am sorry for repetitive question.

Going to Japan...

BEFORE GETTING THERE - How can I be sure that my Chase ATM card will work in ATM?

I plan to bring:

Plenty of YEN to Japan.

My Chase ATM card that my bank swears will work in Japan's ATM.

My Chase Visa card to pay for hotels and dinners.

Also - my husband has a MasterCard.

Does anyone think I need to do more for the 17 days I will be there?

Thank you.

6 replies to this topic
Tustin, California
1. Re: Chase ATM Card OR Chase Visa Card

They will all work fine in Japan...bringing yen? usually you would get a horrid exchange rate exchanging in the US. You can just get Yen at the atm or if you feel more secure with having backup, change some travelers checks at the airport.

The cards will be fine. Also check on your foreign transaction/atm surcharge for your CC's

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 3
2. Re: Chase ATM Card OR Chase Visa Card

Yes it should work at International ATMs:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

As always do not rely on just one and only method of getting cash but a variety, so it is best to carry a mix of cards and cash.

reviews: 19
3. Re: Chase ATM Card OR Chase Visa Card

You'll get socked with fees and/or a lousy exchange rate buying yen in the U.S. Better to buy U.S. dollar-denominated travelers checks before you leave home. In California, Chase offers some account packages with no fees to get travelers checks; they probably offer the same deal in the New York market.

I would bring a second ATM card issued by a different bank, and preferably on a different network. (Most ATM cards are linked either to the MasterCard/Maestro/Cirrus network or the Visa/Plus network.) Note that the Capital One 360 account offers an ATM card with no surcharge or fees on international transactions.

Be sure to notify all your credit card and ATM card issuers that you will be in Japan; otherwise they will suspect fraud and might deny transactions.

ATM cards issued outside Japan won't work on most ATM machines in Japan. JP Bank (the Japan Post Office Bank ), Citibank, and Seven Bank (at 7-11 stores and airports) ATM machines in Japan will accept foreign ATM cards. You are likely to find all three at major airports in Japan.

CT
reviews: 1
4. Re: Chase ATM Card OR Chase Visa Card

I used a chase ATM card. No issues using the Citibank ATM. Also no issues with chase sapphire Visa card which I used everywhere that accepted credit cards.

As a backup, I had a couple other credit cards. And I brought $600usd in case the ATM card didnt work which I could exhange for jpy. Could do it at a bank, or most hotels will exhange with you (at a little worse rate...mine listed 98.x when the official exchange rate was something like 101. So lose about 3%, which really isn't a lot / enough to sweat over for me).

I took out 100,000 yen when we arrived with no issues (ATM limit for me is $1000 usd, but that differs per account)

New York City, New...
5. Re: Chase ATM Card OR Chase Visa Card

Thank you to all.

We listened carefully and decided:

¥100000

$500 cash

$500 traveller's checks

Chase debit

Visa card

Master card

And then beg if we must...LOL

Edited: 4:44 pm, May 29, 2014
Vermont
reviews: 188
6. Re: Chase ATM Card OR Chase Visa Card

"Thank you to all.

We listened carefully and decided:

¥100000

$500 cash

$500 traveller's checks

Chase debit

Visa card

Master card"

WE just returned from 6 weeks in Japan - our ninth or tenth trip. This time were relied totally on ATM withdrawals to get money, though we had about ¥100000 left over from the last trip. Just curious - where are you getting your ¥100000 and how much did you pay for it?

Please be careful about which cards you use at the ATM's. Debit or credit carry different fees and you want to be sure to use the card at ATM's which has the fewest or no fees attached.

We used a Schwab VISA card with no foreign currency conversion fee and no ATM fee. Our Chase United card has no conversion fee, but does charge a hefty interest for ATM withdrawals.

Be sure to ask the issuing company for the card you'll use at ATMs to increase your dily withdrawal amount if it is presently too small.

Reply to: Chase ATM Card OR Chase Visa Card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted