We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan Rail Pass - do I need it if staying in Tokyo

Which Chiyoda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
reviews: 83
Japan Rail Pass - do I need it if staying in Tokyo

Hi

Just wondering can anyone tell me if I would get any benefit out of buying the Japan Rail Pass in New Zealand before I leave. We are staying in Tokyo for 10 days at Shinjuku and Maranouchi. We may do a day trip somewhere and also need transport to and from the airport.

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 teens (13 and 14).

Thanks for any advice on this.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 34
1. Re: Japan Rail Pass - do I need it if staying in Tokyo

You do not need a Japan Rail Pass...it is only useful if you are doing long distance travel, and it sounds like you are not if you are basing yourself in Tokyo for 10 days. You may get some value from some day type passes, but not from a nationwide rail pass. (if you were going as far a Kyoto, it would be about breakeven for you).

For the airport and back use the Suica N'ex Package

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

Edited: 8:32 pm, January 01, 2013
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 66
2. Re: Japan Rail Pass - do I need it if staying in Tokyo

A JR pass is of no value if you're only going to be in Tokyo.

If you plan to arrive at NRT - http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/ - is a good value. Suica is valid on all trains in Tokyo.

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 103
3. Re: Japan Rail Pass - do I need it if staying in Tokyo

The short answer is no. Unless you do long distance trips to match the cost of the pass, JR Pass won't pay off at all.

>>We may do a day trip somewhere<<

This is an important factor. Where would you be going to?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
reviews: 44
4. Re: Japan Rail Pass - do I need it if staying in Tokyo

The JR Pass is for long distance travels mainly by the Shinkansen (Bullet train.) You'll lose a lot of $$ if you're staying in Tokyo the whole time even if you take day trips.

If you're arriving at NRT, buy the Suica/NEX package and use the Suica card for going around Tokyo:

www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html

You should think about visiting a few different areas of Japan since you have 10 days. Kyoto is the number one destination in Japan. It's really worth your time. If you go to Kyoto and back and make a few day trips from Tokyo, the 7 day JR Pass will pay off. Take a look at japanguide.com.

Wellington, New...
reviews: 83
5. Re: Japan Rail Pass - do I need it if staying in Tokyo

Many thanks for the prompt replies on whether to buy a Japan Rail Pass. It seems it's not worth it!!

Will think about doing a trip to Kyoto, just think we will be fully occupied in Tokyo for the 10 days!

Tokyo, Japan
6. Re: Japan Rail Pass - do I need it if staying in Tokyo

You say you would stay in London for 10 days but think to do a day trip to Paris.

(It actually takes around 3 hours to travel between Tokyo - Kyoto and London - Paris.)

Hmmm, I would stay in London for 5days and in Paris for 5 days. Highly advised to think twice.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 66
7. Re: Japan Rail Pass - do I need it if staying in Tokyo

"if" you decide to head out to Kyoto, get the one-way version of Suica-NEX. Activate the 7 day pass when you leave Tokyo for Kyoto. You can use the pass on the return NEX trip to NRT.

London, Engalnd
reviews: 74
8. Re: Japan Rail Pass - do I need it if staying in Tokyo

You would be crazy to miss Kyoto. It is the essence of Japanese culture. Your kids might like the modern day Tokyo, but would also love the experience of the Shinkansen and staying at a Ryokan hotel. Hence the correct response to your question is get a JPR pass in NZ.

9. Re: Japan Rail Pass - do I need it if staying in Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, April 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Chiyoda