We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in a Mombasa can I buy Maasai and African made jewelry

Which Bamburi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southend-on-Sea...
reviews: 1
Where in a Mombasa can I buy Maasai and African made jewelry

I really want to buy some handmade African jewelry and some of the beaded Maasai jewelry where can I buy some am staying at the Severin Sea Lodge at Bamburi beach and will be going to Mombasa on a day trip

9 replies to this topic
Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 62
1. Re: Where in a Mombasa can I buy Maasai and African made jewelry

Just go out onto the beach in front of your hotel and you will be able to purchase some jewelery from a Maasai

Also your hotel is likely to hold a weekly maasai market where you are able to purchase all kinds of items

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
2. Re: Where in a Mombasa can I buy Maasai and African made jewelry

In the car park at the City Mall there's stalls selling stuff. Severin has a gorgeous jewellery shop selling gold and silver. Prices depend on the weight of the item.

Kendal,uk
reviews: 7
3. Re: Where in a Mombasa can I buy Maasai and African made jewelry

Hi

Take a matatu into Mtwapa. After you cross the bridge over the creek you will pass a large club called Causarina on the right. get off the matatu around that point and cross the road and walk into the town. Keep an eye out for a small building on your right called something like international curio shop. Its next to the Chania bus booking office.

It is full of hand made sandals, belts and African jewellery which they make on site. My wife often visits and you will get some absolute bargains with a bit of haggling and many of the vendors on the beach actually get their stuff there and sell for many times the price. An example of price difference is top quality sandals there 500 ks on beach anything up to 1800 ks.

Only slight snag is the building has a tin roof so as you can imagine its very hot but they will turn on a fan.

Enjoy your trip and shopping

Bob

Southend-on-Sea...
4. Re: Where in a Mombasa can I buy Maasai and African made jewelry

Thanks everyone

Bob is that a taxi I need to get? How much is a taxi to go there?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
5. Re: Where in a Mombasa can I buy Maasai and African made jewelry

Bob is talking about matatus which are the local public transport, 14 seater mini buses driven by suicidal lunatics. It's a few years since I was last in a matatu so I don't know what the current fare is but should only cost 25 or 30 shilling (also known as bob) from Severin to Mtwapa, or you could get one the other way to City Mall to see the market there. Of course you might prefer a tuk tuk which would probably cost you around 200 bob, there are usually a few around the main road near the hotels, and if you use one you are happy with get his mobile number for future reference

The International Curio Shop is marked in the Mtwapa section of the map in the FAQs on th eright of this page

Southend-on-Sea...
6. Re: Where in a Mombasa can I buy Maasai and African made jewelry

Thank you yes I think I will definitely use a tuk tuk instead thanks for your help I can't seem to find the map section on the right any help I am sure I am over looking it

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
7. Re: Where in a Mombasa can I buy Maasai and African made jewelry

The Top Questions / FAQs are top right of the page but you only see them (and several other things) if you are using a computer or if you request the 'Desktop version' if you are using a phone, etc

The map one is called 'FAQ - Is there a map showing the location of the resorts, restaurants, etc?'

but here's the direct link

maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms…

Southend-on-Sea...
8. Re: Where in a Mombasa can I buy Maasai and African made jewelry

Thank you

Nashville, Tennessee
9. Re: Where in a Mombasa can I buy Maasai and African made jewelry

I came across an eBay store that sells many curio items from Kenya including Maasai Jewelry, take a look, it may be helpful.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Maasai-Market

Reply to: Where in a Mombasa can I buy Maasai and African made jewelry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bamburi