We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach boys, prostitutes, single traveller

Which Bamburi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Beach boys, prostitutes, single traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, March 15, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
1. Re: Beach boys, prostitutes, single traveller

Try Kilifi for no beach boys. Also places like kipungani in lamu for no bothersome people at all.

All the main beaches - Nyali, Bamburi, Diani, Malindi, etc. are full of beach boys that will annoy the c**p out of you.

We have just spent 7 hours on the beach in Kilifi. Had 2 fishermen approach us to sell octopus and lobster. Those dudes I can accept.

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 28
2. Re: Beach boys, prostitutes, single traveller

I can only speak of Nyali and Bamburi beaches Amy, you will get hassled galore by beach boys if you went for a stroll along those beaches. As you state if your not the type to give them a stern NO then i would not advise you going. They will follow you forever and a day. The prostitution is mostly evident in the bars/clubs rather than the beaches and hotels.

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
3. Re: Beach boys, prostitutes, single traveller

I don't recall any beach boys at Mombasa Serena. I'm pretty sure that was a private beach, Or maybe I just frighten them off.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 68
4. Re: Beach boys, prostitutes, single traveller

Val you do get the beach boys at Serena just not so many since the ASC hotels closed down.

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
5. Re: Beach boys, prostitutes, single traveller

I was right then - I frighten them off!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
6. Re: Beach boys, prostitutes, single traveller

There aren't any private beaches in Kenya, all beaches along the Indian Ocean and Lake Victoria are public property, but as Bruce says since the closure of the ASC hotels in Shanzu (where Serena is) it is like a ghost town sadly.

There are however quieter smaller places such as Kilifi that don't have beach boys or working girls.

7. Re: Beach boys, prostitutes, single traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, March 15, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
8. Re: Beach boys, prostitutes, single traveller

In Kilifi there is Mnarani Club, Kilifi bay hotel, Mara engai ocean retreat, and distant relatives Eco lodge. All different price range, and all very good.

Sutton
reviews: 4
9. Re: Beach boys, prostitutes, single traveller

Bofa Beach in Kilifi is a beautiful beach, I dont think you will be disappointed and we never saw any beach boys just the odd fisherman as previously mentioned. We are going back in January so I am hoping it hasnt changed.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 72
10. Re: Beach boys, prostitutes, single traveller

City Girl it has not changed at all. I often go alone for a walk along Bofa Beach and apart from a few locals saying hello thats the only people you will see Amy. Also unlike further down the coast towards Mombasa you will not have to witness the usual prostitutes openly vying for trade, I am not saying it does not happen but its not "in your face".

Like Roadwarrior we are big fans of Kilifi.

Get answers to your questions about Bamburi