We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling

Which Bamburi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Wales
reviews: 17
Snorkelling

My husband and I are spending two weeks at the Neptune Beach Resort Hotel in Bamburi Beach from 22nd February. We love snorkelling and would be grateful to anyone who could advise on conditions from this beach - are they suitable for snorkelling?

Swindon, England
1. Re: Snorkelling

We visited Travellers Beach Club, bamburi in march this year. We all love snorkelling and after egypt last year were all excited about snorkelling. The reef is quite a long way out and you need to take a boat. On 2 occasions we went out but the sea was sooo rough we had to abandon it and return. It looks calm from the shore but has quite a current. The tide moves an awful lot there. One minute the sea is up to the hotels and within a couple of hours the beach is huge. Lots to see if you go out walking in low tide but you will never get out there by yourself. The beach boys tell you that you need a guide for your 'sea safari'. There are many things that you could stand on and hurt your feet. We paid the beach boy about £6 for 4 of us to go out for 1/2 an hour but the will try to haggle a much larger fee. Beware! be tough. £6 to them is about a whole days pay.....so stick to your guns!

Have fun...we had the time of our lives and cannot wait to return.

South Wales
reviews: 17
2. Re: Snorkelling

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your comments and can't wait to go. We'll probably arrange a few snorkelling trips during our stay.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
3. Re: Snorkelling

lds

Good info, thanks and the point about stepping on things is really important, not just because of hurting yourself (the one time I forgot my water shoes I felt really at a disadvantage. . .), but also because you end up killing an awful lot of small animals, especially coral polyps.

One point though, the £6 you paid for thirty minutes is actually at least two days salary for most of hotel staff (see the "Salaries" thread). Very few guys on the beach would ultimately walk away from Ksh100 for a 30 minute walk . .

Not to take away from the fact that you knocked them down from an over-the-top price in the first place!

Richard

4. Re: Snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, May 16, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Bamburi