We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how are the Ski slopes for beginner - intermediate skiier?

Which Hintertux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 27
how are the Ski slopes for beginner - intermediate skiier?

HI

I found this beautiful hotel Alpenhof and it stirred me in my search towards Hintertux.

My questions are:

are there some Blue or red slopes that are not very narrow with steep sides that are frightening to me, but wider slopes ? I can do red ones but I feel better when they are wider.

Is it pretty crowded or not during the second wk of January?

Thank you so much!!!!

3 replies to this topic
vienna
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Lower Austria, Austrian Alps
reviews: 23
1. Re: how are the Ski slopes for beginner - intermediate skiier?

After the 6th of January until the end of the month is considered low season.

Christmas New Years Holiday finished athere brings very cold temperatures and often grnd school winter vacation does not begin generally until February.

Thus fewer vacationers.

Special reason for Hintertux- higher altitude generally brings very cold temperatures and often grey weather.

Upper areas are wide and not too hard.

Have you considered areas further down the valley-Mayrhofen, Finkenberg, Tux Lanersbach.

Fine hotels excelent open skiing in many areasand a great lift network.

The Sport Hotel Stock in Finkenberg is a fine place.

Many renovations this past summer, fine spa and close to the Gondola taking you to the big ski circus.

www.mayrhofen.at

munich
reviews: 38
2. Re: how are the Ski slopes for beginner - intermediate skiier?

As intermated above Hintertux being a glacier is a place you go during the ski season when the snow isn't very good in the local resorts. Glaciers can be a bleak place - especially in January.

Mayrhofen is a very popular place. Popular family destination. Has a good rep (with the Brits/english speaking visitors) for good instruction and is therefore popular with beginners.

Popular ski area is the Skiwelt www.skiwelt.at

Lots of blue runs. YOu can ski around most of the entire ski area on blues. We often go there for day trips as it is only ~ 1hrs drive to Ellmau and the Hartkaiserbahn.

http://www.skiwelt.at/en/winter

skiwelt.at/en/the-ski-resort-skiwelt-wilder-…

You can ski from Ellmau all the way round to Hochbrixen just on blue runs.

The whole ski area is on meadowland hills/mountains so no paths with drop-offs. Red runs not overly difficult. The Red runs directly down from the top of the Hohe Salve you may find more difficult but you can ski around the Hohhe Salve itself between Hopfgarten and Söll (No. 21 lift). You can also ski around the Hohe Salve from Söll (clockwise halfway up top of the 43 lift) to get to Brixen avoiding the black run off the top of the Hohe Salve that goes towards Brixen. Ellmau and Söll popular places to stay.

The Skiwelt is a lower altitude resort area so could suffer if low snowfall. Not had poor winter since ~ 2005/2006. Last year there was 6ft of snow over a short period (couple of days) around/just before xmas giving a good base for all resorts in Tirol.

Brixen around to Söll is the sunny side. This area can suffer in late season (late march) but in January with good snow nice area to get the sun.

There are plenty of other places around Austria that might fit your bill.

Depends what you are looking for overall

Another good place would be the Salzburger Sportwelt - part of the huge Skiamade ski area.

Somewhere like Wagrain would be a good place to stay. Again the whole area is meadowland mountains. Plenty of easy blues and reds around Wagrain. Also around Flachauwinkl and Zauchensee. Wagrain bigger village - more going on.

The skipass doesn't just cover the whole of the Salzburger Sportwelt but ALL 5 of the Skiamade ski regions.

http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter

skiamade.com/de/…pistenpanorama.

Of course there are local skibuses to help you get around. e.g there is a free skibus between Wagrain and the main lift (Kleinarl bergbahn) in Kleinarl to link into Flachauwinkl and Zauchensee. Bus runs every 15mins - journey takes 10mins

www.wagrain.info/en-ski-holiday-austria.htm

You can also look at www.bergfex.com to get an idea of just how much choice you could have

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 27
3. Re: how are the Ski slopes for beginner - intermediate skiier?

Thank you so much on such a great detailed info. It helped a lot to crystalize my plans :)

Reply to: how are the Ski slopes for beginner - intermediate skiier?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hintertux
More Hintertux Topics