We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?

Which Mornington Peninsula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?

When is the best time to visit the area, when the weather is still nice and its not so busy?

Also, where is a good town to stay?

Thanks

16 replies to this topic
Melbourne
reviews: 5
1. Re: Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?

Probably Feb, it's after kids go back to school but before it starts to cool down for Autumn. Staying depends on what type of accommodation you're after, I personally like Sorrento for a nice apartment, hotel, B&B style place, or if you want to camp them Rosebud, Rye have some nice spots along the foreshore.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
2. Re: Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?

Definitely February or March, though keep in mind it can still be busy on weekends, so if you can visit mid week would be better.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas
reviews: 1,167
3. Re: Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?

I concur re February and March.

Sorrento is a nice place to base yourself for a visit to the area.

Edited: 1:46 am, January 06, 2014
reviews: 3
4. Re: Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?

I also agree that February , March and even April are great times to enjoy the peninsula. Avoiding school holidays is a good idea so consider that if you are looking to stay in April.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 33
5. Re: Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?

Always good down here but the better weather makes it easier. If you like busy , then Mornington can be a good base otherwise I concur with the above that Sorrento is a lovely spot.

Sean

Noosa Heads
reviews: 1
6. Re: Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?

Certainly not on any Monday or Tuesday if you are interested in both wine and food. We booked expensive accommodation for two nights only to find none of the top restaurants on the Peninsular are open - most only open Fri and Sat nights for dinner, and possibly Wed to Sun for lunch if you are lucky. And often there is no refund on cancelling accommodation. If we had known this beforehand we would have completely changed our travel dates. Not a good look for a food and wine destination!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
7. Re: Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?

Hi Helen

This can certainly be the case for the Southern and Winery options of the Peninsula but the larger spots like Mornington have options for earlier in the week.

Sean

Noosa Heads
8. Re: Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?

Thanks Sean, but the point of our staying on the Peninsula is to visit the wineries enjoy good food, and none of these top restaurants are open Mon or Tue:

Paringa Estate

Port Philip Estate

Ten Minutes By Tractor

Max's at Red Hill

Terminus...and the list goes on....

We found Montalto Estate to have the only good restaurant open - not top of our list but it will do for one lunch.

If you can let me know of a very good restaurant south of Mornington we would greatly appreciate it. We are staying at Quarters at Flinders Hotel as we wanted to go to Terminus, so we would prefer not to drive to Mornington at night.

Helen

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
9. Re: Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?

Hi Helen

I am sorry that the places you wanted to go to where not open. Easter Weekend , it all fires up again and over the Christmas Holidays is when they really cater to the visiting trade. I hope you do get to try some of those on your wish list. Obviously the Peninsula is made up of the Port Phillip side and the Westernport side where you are staying. A popular choice in Sorrento is Loquat. Two other places that are well thought of are Veraison and La Petanque. These are closer to Flinders than Mornington. Merricks General Store does a great lunch and Breakfast , but no Dinner ,I believe. Hope this helps and the rest of your stay down here goes well.

Sean

Noosa Heads
10. Re: Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?

Thank you, Sean, for trying to find a place for us, it is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately none of those restaurants are open Mon or Tue nights.

We will enjoy the wines and forget the food.

Helen

Reply to: Best time to visit Mornington Peninsula?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted