We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garbage problem

Which Panglao Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 21
Garbage problem

The Philippines is an absolutely beautiful country with so much potential for tourism but the places I have been to (boracay, cebu, Davoa city, Samal Island , and some smaller islands all seem plagued , albeit some to a lesser degree by garbage problem with garbage strewn everywher, is Bohol any better?

las vegas
reviews: 10
11. Re: Garbage problem

You'd think that with all those environmental fees amounting to hundreds of thousand every month,that they can at least hire few clean up crews to keep surrounding areas free of unsightly wastes/garbage.

boracay
reviews: 12
12. Re: Garbage problem

Yes, you'd think so. And some lifeguards. And put in some streetlights.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 1,498
13. Re: Garbage problem

sirenna, why don't you get local friends to email letters to the local paper or online journal, or write to the local Barangay Captain or Mayor to try to generate awareness of the need for beach cleaning equipment?

Naturally, even if capital costs are paid, there are operating costs, plus the need for spare parts.

Edited: 6:53 am, September 24, 2012
boracay
14. Re: Garbage problem

That's already been done many times. The local government are well aware that the community wants beach cleaners, lifeguards, zoning and law enforcement. And no specialized machinery is needed to clean the beach - just manpower, rakes and sacks. Currently we (volunteers) are cleaning it ourselves.

London, United...
reviews: 130
15. Re: Garbage problem

Garbage is a problem not only of third world countries like the Philippines but of first world countries as well. I was in Amsterdam April of last year and I was disappointed to see piles of garbage, in fact huge piles, along the streets. Seemed uncollected for days ! This year I was in Athens and I was disappointed to see it dirty especially in the monasteraki area.

Compared to boracay, I would say panglao is a much cleaner place. And much more quiet. No crowds, no bars along the beach and a morning or evening walk is extremely peaceful. Unless you are the type who would want a vibrant night life after a day in the beach, then panglao is the perfect place for you.

16. Re: Garbage problem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:48 pm, March 14, 2013
boracay
17. Re: Garbage problem

#15, you might be surprised. Boracay's main White Beach is very clean now as teams of volunteers regularly maintain and clean it. The busy station 2 area suffers a fair bit during peak season (mostly from the RoRo crowd who stay 10 to a room) but at least now something is being done about the problem.

18. Re: Garbage problem

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

19. Re: Garbage problem

Australia
reviews: 9
20. Re: Garbage problem

Our family trip to Panglao January 2013 was very enjoyable, until you left the confines of the resort. Litter everywhere. Beachfront eateries on sand which hardly ever sees a rake or litter pickup. Cockroaches and insects everywhere here, Rats of a considerable size running along the street just outside our resort was too much for me. The resorts expect the government to clean up the rubbish that are the remnants of items sold by themselves. I would suggest that tourists complain loudly to the resorts, if you are offended, simply leave and tell your friends not to visit Panglao at all. Maybe this will bring them to their senses.