We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garbage problem

Which Panglao Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 15
Garbage problem

The Philippines is an absolutely beautiful country with so much potential for tourism but the places I have been to (boracay, cebu, Davoa city, Samal Island , and some smaller islands all seem plagued , albeit some to a lesser degree by garbage problem with garbage strewn everywher, is Bohol any better?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 202
1. Re: Garbage problem

I do not see much garbage on the road or beach when I am in Boracay and Bohol during my last in 2011.

Is your visit only recently like in 2012?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 1,128
2. Re: Garbage problem

I have not seen any on Panglao Island but I agree that it is a problem. On Boracay, I didn't see much except a bit on Main Road but I did not go to every nook and cranny.

On Siargao Island, Mindanao, there is a large unsightly dump by the roadside near the Cloud 9 surfing area on an otherwise attractive unmade (gravel) road.

Local government needs to tackle this problem but often does not. There should - note 'should' - be sufficient taxation revenue to cover the cost of a simple proper landfill plus perhaps a recycling station (although locals anxious for a few pesos often 'volunteer' for the latter).

TA member sirenna might update us as to how Boracay tackles this essential service.

Edited: 7:29 pm, September 22, 2012
Oslo
reviews: 101
3. Re: Garbage problem

Boracay has a model and wonderful recycling program that has been lauded and copied by others. With that said, often times you see boat people dumping stuff into the ocean, seashore has papers and garbage along it, even the famed mars bars diaper. If you walk along the beach bar area early in the morning, do not be surprised to see bottles,even broken glass, paper etc. etc. dropped there by those who partied outside of the bars.

IT is not as bad as it was years ago, but still has a long way to go.

Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 15
4. Re: Garbage problem

yes may 2012, the beach at boracay was clean but there was a lot of green algae , on the side of the road was a different issue, it was everywhere, as if no one cared where they threw out their garbge, candy wrappers, etc.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 226
5. Re: Garbage problem

Bohol I found remarkably clean on the beaches, and not too much about on the roads either.

Having recently been in Boracay, Station 1 - 3 White Beach is relatively clean, no more garbage about than you would see on other beaches, however, the beaches on the other side of the island did not have the same clean look, and the water is definately not as clean or clear.

boracay
reviews: 12
6. Re: Garbage problem

Aside from the garbage truck which comes each morning to collect waste sacks, there is no official beach cleaning service provided. Hard to believe, I know, given how much Boracay earns in taxes and environmental fees. Currently the White Beach doesn't look so bad as teams of volunteers patrol fairly regularly cleaning it. In peak season the station 2 area often gets littered with junk food wrappers and party detritus. And algae appears from Feb till May.

canberra
reviews: 9
7. Re: Garbage problem

Filipinos have a long way to go as far as garbage is concerned. The very old right down to the very young just discard wrappings and plastic bags from chips, chocolates or whatever. Littering just does not seem to compute with them. Education is needed and hopefully is being introduced at schools. It is a blight on the entire country.

boracay
8. Re: Garbage problem

Education is necessary, but in Boracay we also suffer from a sad lack of investment both in the infrastructure and in basic services such as lifeguards and beach cleaners, which are currently non existant.

Edited: 6:10 am, September 23, 2012
richmond
reviews: 2
9. Re: Garbage problem

Isnt it that garbage is part of being what the western world calls Third World COUNTRY? Same problem Here in the downtown East side of vancouver. The only difference are the needles and syringes that were discarded here along the streets.

You are lucky that you just visited the country recently. Because years ago.. It was worse! You will be disgusted to see piles of garbage along main streets in Metro Manila. I wish the local governments as Vlad stated will address these garbage problems soon as the OP described.

Edited: 5:22 pm, September 23, 2012
boracay
10. Re: Garbage problem

Well in Boracay specifically it is not for lack of funding that there are no beach cleaners. It is a lingering mentality of not caring about it. Our environment is expendable and just another commodity to be used to make money with no thought for the future.