We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel+Leisure Magazine - Panglao

Which Panglao Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 202
Travel+Leisure Magazine - Panglao

I do not know is this magazine a reputable one. But Panglao was listed as one of the undiscovered beaches.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

Sadly is that in the magazine website, Philippines is not even labled on their map.

www.travelandleisure.com/travel-guide/asia

Hope this issue of the magazine will help Philippines but please do not turn Panglao into another Boracay!

Edited: 4:43 am, March 01, 2012
Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 159
1. Re: Travel+Leisure Magazine - Panglao

You'll see the cover of the magazine on their website when you click the subscribe button. This is a reputable publication that seems to be geared towards a more upscale market. I may be wrong but I've always had the impression that they're affiliated with Conde Nast. Normally featured are the usual, ubiquitous destinations. So it's no surprise why you don't see the Philippines on their website's map. That's also probably the reason why they've just 'discovered' Panglao now haha.

Don't keep your hopes too high about Panglao though. I hear the owners of Boracay Regency are currently building a huge resort on the island. So there goes...

Edited: 11:11 am, March 01, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
2. Re: Travel+Leisure Magazine - Panglao

"I hear the owners of Boracay Regency are currently building a huge resort on the island."

Sigh...... Here we go again.....

Makati, Philippines
reviews: 9
3. Re: Travel+Leisure Magazine - Panglao

Hi Mousehunt,

Actually, I think the local government of Bohol are doing what they can to have a more sustainable tourism program compared to Boracay.

However, they are in the process of constructing a small airport right in Panglao Island which in my opinion is not probably what the province needs. :(

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 159
4. Re: Travel+Leisure Magazine - Panglao

Didn't know the government pushed through with the development of the airport in Panglao. Last I heard was that an alternative site is being considered due to safety concerns with the geology of the island unsuitable for an airport.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
5. Re: Travel+Leisure Magazine - Panglao

I wonder why Panglao needs an airport when it is already well served by Taglibaran.

Even if they built it but no airlines wanted to use it, it will be a white elephant. I would rather get them to use the money to widen Alona beach if it is environmentally feasible or to improve the island infrastructure.

Makati, Philippines
reviews: 9
6. Re: Travel+Leisure Magazine - Panglao

Oh that was from my visit a couple of years ago. I do hope they decided to scrap the program as the small island definitely do not need an airport. Most probably only small planes can use it, similar to Caticlan.

Improving and maintaining Alona beach is indeed a better use of their resources.

Bohol
reviews: 17
7. Re: Travel+Leisure Magazine - Panglao

The airport on Panglao is still being investigated due to the Tag airport safety concerns and the limited land for expansion. I must say that my initial thoughts were against the panglao option but after seeing the discussion papers and plans I think it may be the only viable option (unless they concentrate on improved fast cats from Cebu)

8. Re: Travel+Leisure Magazine - Panglao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:13 pm, June 12, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Panglao Island