We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nature on the island

Which Catalina Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
reviews: 22
Nature on the island

Hello! In March, we are bringing our 5 year old to the island. We are less interested in Avalon and more interested in hiking/viewing dolphins etc. It sounds like the golf cart is one option to see more. Is hiking an option? Or does it have to be on a tour. How about spots to look for sea life? Thanks. Coming from the mountains of Colorado so this is a big change and we are very unfamiliar with the area!

Kristin

7 replies to this topic
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
1. Re: Nature on the island

Considered Channel Islands National Park? Island Packers have day tours to various islands. http://www.nps.gov/chis/index.htm Anacapa the shortest ride.

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Nature on the island

I did consider those islands. A few things I read were that permits are really hard to get (for hiking) and that you actually have to fly in. I got the impression they are really trying to conserve nature and the easiest way to do that is to limit tourists. I may be off base though! Catalina was recommended by some friends based on other activites we will be doing near Dana Point. Thanks for the idea, maybe I should research that more.

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Nature on the island

No, there are trails you can go on your own on Santa Cruz Island. It is true some other parts of the island and some of the other islands are more restricted. Island Packer is a wonderful outfit. They run the ferry over there and can arranged guided tours. But you can just ferry over and explore on your own. We may still have some whales in the water in March. You will probably see some dophins on your way out to the islands.

The visitor center on the mainland at the Ventura Harbor is also great for kids that age.

Edited: 7:07 pm, January 10, 2014
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
4. Re: Nature on the island

Fly to Channel Islands? Check the park's Web site. Island Packers, the official concessionaire, has day trips by boat to various islands. Permits? Maybe for camping. I went to both Anacapa and Santa Barbara Island, on separate trips, and walked around both without a permit (beyond whatever Island Packers obtained). You do need to get yourself to Oxnard or Ventura (departure point varies by the island you're going to), which is easy enough to do by car or train.

http://www.islandpackers.com/

Edited: 6:32 am, January 11, 2014
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 42
5. Re: Nature on the island

Regarding Catalina: You cannot go past the gates in Avalon to the interior unless you are on a tour or a taxi/shuttle to the airport. We walked once from the airport (flew in our own plane), walked to Avalon and took the shuttle back. Not really an option for most and this was over 20 years ago. There are several nature or "eco" tours available from Avalon. You can also get a permit to mountain bike the interior. As much as I love Anacapa and Santa Cruz islands (been there many times on a sailboat), it's pretty remote. Both islands are beautiful but there really is not much there. If that is what you are looking for, the hiking is fabulous.

www.catalinaconservancy.org/index.php…

visitcatalinaisland.com/activities-adventures

Catalina Island...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Nature on the island

Hi jreid8420,

There are several companies that offer fantastic tours of the Catalina Island "interior" (Conservancy land). This area is a hidden gem, and not to be missed! Check out: …catalinachamber.com/Land-Activities/Interio… If you are interested in dolphin spotting, there are great tours for that too! …catalinachamber.com/Water-Activities/Wildli… Have a great trip!

San Diego...
reviews: 29
7. Re: Nature on the island

There's a herd of bison: santacatalinaisland.com/channel/…1662

Reply to: Nature on the island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted