We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Float trip recommendation near Arenal

Which Nuevo Arenal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Float trip recommendation near Arenal

We'll be in Nuevo Arenal for a week mid-May, I'm trying to narrow down a floating boat tour. Celeste? Cano Negro? Corobici? Palo Verde? Our focus would be seeing wildlife, and a covered boat for the rain would be a bonus.

Any recommendations?

5 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 122
1. Re: Float trip recommendation near Arenal

We love the Cano Negro tour and have done it several times. We've seen several species of monkeys, caimans, sloths, and lots of cool water birds. Both Sunset Tours and Desafio are great companies. The boats are nice and covered so you're protected from sun, rain, etc. Penas Blancas is also fun, but it's on a raft, not a covered boat, and you won't see as much wildlife as you will at Cano Negro.

Seattle, Washington
2. Re: Float trip recommendation near Arenal

Thanks for the tips! From everything I've read, Cano Negro sounds like the tour to beat, but it also seems like it is the furthest away so I didn't want to discount the closer ones. Do you have a recommended tour operator for Cano Negro? I

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
3. Re: Float trip recommendation near Arenal

If you have a rental car, you can take the road to Guatuso from Nuevo Arenal, Rt.143. When you reach Guatuso, turn left on Rt. 4. Follow it until you reach Colonia Puntarenas. When you reach this small town, there is a billboard for Cano Negro. Turn right just past that sign on Rt.138 and follow all the way to the village Cano Negro.

There are a lot of tour operators, just take your pick. It will take a little over two hours as the road from Nuevo Arenal to Guatuso is not paved and the one from Colonio Puntarenas to Cano Negro is not either. It's best to leave early in order to see more wildlife. No matter what time you arrive, someone will take you out.

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Float trip recommendation near Arenal

CAño Negro is waiting for you!

roadadvisor

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 122
5. Re: Float trip recommendation near Arenal

gutter, yes, we like Sunset Tours. They usually also stop at the Iguanas restaurant where you can get photos of huge iguanas lazing in the trees. The boat is nice, and they serve cold drinks on board. Takes a couple hours to get to the river, but worth it for the wildlife. We've used Desafio for other tours, and they're great as well.

Reply to: Float trip recommendation near Arenal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted