We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers in tobago

Which Crown Point hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dorchester, United...
reviews: 9
first timers in tobago

We are staying at the toucan inn at end of Nov for 1 week. We generally take cash with us for spending money. We do not have a visa credit card but have visa debit cards - can we use them to draw cash from machines and to pay for any thing over and above at the hotel. We can use the visa debit anywhere in Egypt including Taba but just wanted to check

UK
reviews: 102
1. Re: first timers in tobago

From experience, I can say that you can certainly use your VISA Debit card to withdraw cash in the local currency TT$ from the ATMs in the Crown Point area. I'm also sure that you will be able to use it to purchase items in the local shops and restaurants. Just to be sure, I suggest confirming that with your bank prior to leaving for your holiday.

Enjoy!

Tobago
reviews: 62
2. Re: first timers in tobago

Yes, you would be able to use your VISA Debit card at the ATMs and at stores. However when using it at the ATM you would need to select "credit card" as the account from which the money is being withdrawn. The reality is that because of the VISA logo, it reads it as a credit card even though it is a debit card.

Dorchester, United...
reviews: 9
3. Re: first timers in tobago

thank you so much for your response

Berks
reviews: 14
4. Re: first timers in tobago

It may be worth telling your bank you are going to Tobago. I had my card stopped in Tobago and couldnt pay a bill. On return home my bank contacted me to say someeone had been trying to use my card abroad and they had kindly denied use. They advised informing them if going abroad again.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
reviews: 17
5. Re: first timers in tobago

Certainly tell your card supplier where you are going as out of the ordinary purchases, especially cash withdrawals with be 'red flagged' for your safety!

Trace299 is correct with her information. Take some $TT with you to start you off. You really will have a problem using a card most places unless you are in the more tourist oriented Store Bay / Crown Point area., it is not that sort of society at all! Cash is still king! You should check with the owner of the establishment BEFORE you order to see if they can/will take your card. ATMs in the north, eg. Castara, Charlotteville, Roxborough do run out of cash and may not be refilled for several days. Always keep some cash in reserve, small bills in the safe. Take out what you need , $TT2-300 will do you for the day. USD are also taken at a street rate of 6-1.

Have photo id ( UK drivers license is good and easier to carry than your passport.),with you for using a foreign card

Lansdowne...
reviews: 1
6. Re: first timers in tobago

it's more than "may be worth it" to advise your bank of international travel - it's a NECESSITY. Many banks and cc companies will immediately freeze the card the minute they detect any uncommon usage outside of your typical area, and they will not release the card until they speak with you personally on the phone, to authorize that the card has not been stolen. These days, many banks and cc websites have a way to alert them to your travel plans, easily and quickly, right on their websites. Going on a trip without doing a 'travel alert' is not a wise thing to do.

Edited: 3:58 pm, November 13, 2012
reviews: 8
7. Re: first timers in tobago

We are also going to Tobago for the first time in December. I have searched online and can not find any current information. Can I bring frozen meat into Trinidad (our port of entry) for our personal use?

Lansdowne...
8. Re: first timers in tobago

http://trinidad-tobago.visahq.com/customs/

looks like meat is not a prohibited item - but they have high-quality fresh meats there, why bother to bring?

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
reviews: 17
9. Re: first timers in tobago

Sorry I do not understand?

The meat, beef steaks especially, is from grass fed animals , cattle, goats and sheep grazing on the hillside!

Why on earth would you want to bring frozen chemical fed beef steak from the States?

Tobago
10. Re: first timers in tobago

Ginandtonic... can you perhaps suggest where newjerseynavy can purchase local grass-fed beef steaks? A lot of the meats in the supermarket are imported and repackaged locally.

Edited: 9:07 am, November 16, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Crown Point