We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucks County Advise

Gainesville, VA
reviews: 11
Bucks County Advise

Hello Friends!

We've planned a 2 day trip to Bucks County in August. Need some suggestions :

Day 1 - Sesame Place

Day 2 -

Peddler's Village

Fonthill Museum

Mercer Museum

Kid's Castle

Day 3 -

Shadybrook Farms on our way back to DC.

Any suggestions on what else can we do as a family (2 kids, aged 9 and 5) on the 2nd Day. I am assuming we will be done with the 4 places by late afternoon.

Thanks a ton!

Dodz

8 replies to this topic
Philadelphia
reviews: 15
1. Re: Bucks County Advise

New Hope is more interesting than Peddler's Village, in my humble opinion, & only about 6 miles further. Then take Main St. south out of New Hope & you'll soon be in Washington's Crossing. Teach the kids the story of Washington crossing the Delaware in advance by showing them the famous painting. They will love Bowman's Tower, which is part of the Washington's Crossing area along Rte. 32.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
reviews: 73
2. Re: Bucks County Advise

Your schedule is good, just make sure you hit Fonthill at a time when a tour is beginning, as you can't go through the house without one. JUG11's suggestions are very good.

Shadybrook is only worth about 15 minutes unless there is an event going on. It is really just a very large farm stand. There are no animals, except for the scores of feral cats that wander the property. You may want to consider stopping in downtown Philadelphia to hit The Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross House, and other historic sites. They are about 3 minutes off of I-95, and on your way to DC.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 62
3. Re: Bucks County Advise

River Road north from Newtown is very scenic and as mentioned goes through Washington's Crossing and New Hope. I also would skip Peddler's Village and do parts of River Road.

Warrington, PA
reviews: 25
4. Re: Bucks County Advise

I agree that Peddler's Village may not be worth a stop and would probably be boring to your kids, unless they love shopping at "grown-up" stores. The only caveat is that sometimes PV has special events going on that might appeal. I'd check their web site to see if they have anything special going on the day you'll visit. There's also the "Giggleberry Fair" building at PV that has a carousel.

For the Mercer Museum, check online before you go. There are some age-appropriate "scavenger-hunt" type games you can download that may make the museum more palatable to your kids. Otherwise, they may look at it as just a bunch of old stuff as my 8 & 10 year old nieces did.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 36
5. Re: Bucks County Advise

If they ride bikes, may enjoy a ride along the towpath. It is quite nice and flat, water views in many places and tons of sunbathing turtles. Also, may enjoy tubing in NH.

and if you have time, go across the bridge from NH to Lambertville. some nice restaurants and galleries also.

Edited: 3:57 pm, July 17, 2012
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
reviews: 73
6. Re: Bucks County Advise

River Road (Route 32) does not run from Newtown. You can pick it up in Yardley.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 62
7. Re: Bucks County Advise

So right, owlyn, don't know why I put Newtown, of course it is Yardley....a beautful drive, none the less.

Gainesville, VA
reviews: 11
8. Re: Bucks County Advise

Friends,

This means a lot to me. I will include all of your suggestions and skip Peddler's Village.

We were stopping by New Hope at Sprig & Vine for Lunch and another Indian restaurant for dinner that night.

We are so looking forward to this trip.

Thanks again~

Dodz.

Reply to: Bucks County Advise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted