We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachfront lodging

chicago, il
reviews: 3
Beachfront lodging

We are looking for a place to stay that has both a beach and pool. We do not want to have to drive to the beach each day but knowing the water can be chilly even in the summer we still want the pool too. Trying to find something closer to home than Florida, does this exist in Door County? Prefer either motel or condo but could camp too.

Saint Louis...
21. Re: Beachfront lodging

I guess afte reading the previous posts, I'm not entirely certain about the beaches in Sturgeon Bay... are there sandy beaches in the town of Sturgeon Bay for swimming, walking etc or do you have to drive to a state park to find a sandy beach?

Thanks very much,

Nancy

Egg Harbor WI
reviews: 28
22. Re: Beachfront lodging

There is a lot more to Door County than Sturgeon Bay. All the communities north of the canal have beaches, as do the state parks and county parks.

Wisconsin
reviews: 137
23. Re: Beachfront lodging

Though people come to Door County for the beaches, I think for many it's an extra. There's so much to do and see between the parks, the shops, restaurants golf courses etc that it would be a shame to limit yourself to just focusing on a beach. Also, being further up in the peninsula is better. If you're in even Egg Harbor or further up all these choices will be much nearer.

chicago area
24. Re: Beachfront lodging

If this is your first visit to Door County I strongly recommend staying north of Sturgeon Bay. Her are some places I would look into staying. The Homestead in Fish Creek rents nice condos that butt up against Peninsula State Park. It's a short walk to the Fish Creek Beach which is rather small, or a short drive to the Peninsula State Park beach which is very nice with a playground, restrooms and snack shop. There is an entrance fee to the park. The newport in Egg Harbor has 2 bed 2 bath condos with indoor/outdoor pools. A short drive to two nice beaches in Egg Harbor.Ephraim Shores Motel has an indoor pool and is a very short walk to the beach as is the Edgewater resort in Ephraim. The Bay Breeze is nice but if you have kids you may find you want a bit more room, they have an outdoor pool and are across the street from the beach. Glidden Lodge near Jacksonport offers 1,2, and 3 bedroom units and a beach on Lake Michigan. There are a lot of choices but it looks like your trip is next summer so you have plenty of time to choose.

Chicago Suburbs
reviews: 19
25. Re: Beachfront lodging

Nancy K, you mentioned walking on a sandy beach. The only sandy beach on the Door County mainland that is wide enough for a walk is at Whitefish Dunes State Park. There is a small sand beach at Otumba Park in Sturgeon Bay.

In response to a post above, Door County is not a golf destination. The views from the back nine on the Peninsula State Park golf course and a couple of holes at Alpine Resort are spectacular. Other than that, the courses are pretty ordinary-especially when compared to other golf destinations in Wisconsin such as Kohler and, to a lesser extent, Green Lake.

Wisconsin
reviews: 137
26. Re: Beachfront lodging

Yes, Kohler is a true golf destination spot, but we enjoy the golf in Door County also. Peninsula and Alpine have beautiful views, the Orchards is looking a bit scruffy and other courses are more executive type. But for those who enjoy golfing, it wouldn't hurt to bring the clubs.

Egg Harbor...
reviews: 4
27. Re: Beachfront lodging

Door County was just named "Best Weekend Getaway" by Midwest Golfing Magazine. Four fabulous courses are located right in Egg Harbor. eggharbordoorcounty.org/where-to-play/golf-c…

Chicago Suburbs
reviews: 19
28. Re: Beachfront lodging

I respectfully disagree. Stonehedge is an entry-level course. Outside of the views, Alpine is nothing special. Orchards is ok. None of these three are anywhere close to being fabulous. Horseshoe Bay is a private course only open to the public if you pay over $100 for a round and over $200 for an overnight stay.

As a poster said above, by all means, bring your clubs. I golf the back nine at Peninsula just for the views. But, don't expect great courses.

29. Re: Beachfront lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, October 07, 2012