We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am in Russia....

Which Mui Ne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bad Windsheim...
reviews: 94
I am in Russia....

Hi, a stupid question: I am very astonished about the huge amount of Russian tourists here in Mui Ne. How comes, that Mui Ne is so very attractive for the Russian clientele?

I think it is the same long trek for them to reach Mui Ne like for us? In comparison there are about 10% Europeans, 20% Australians and Expats and the majority is Russian.

Maybe some Russian guest can jump in?

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
1. Re: I am in Russia....

Russians are everywhere at the moment not just in Mui Ne, I think they look for places that are good value for money, if you go over to the Goa forum you'll see that theyre also the biggest number of tourists there also.

Tipperary, Ireland
reviews: 40
2. Re: I am in Russia....

The Russians have the money and direct flights makes it much easier for them to come to Vietnam Thailand goa etc etc, this time of year they leave Russia as the weather is in the minus so they look for better weather else where..... Plus the Russian don't like to mix with other countries so they take over areas of a country ie mui ne, nha trang etc and don't travel outside these areas.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 120
3. Re: I am in Russia....

Ray, it used to be mainly during the Russian winter, but, there were still hoardes of them all over vietnam in July and August this year.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
reviews: 33
4. Re: I am in Russia....

The answer is packaged tourism along with pyramid business plans, that see the Agents in Russia, the Hotels in " Mui Ne", owned by the same consortiums. Add to this a few Russian restaurants, bulk purchased flights and you get Little Moscow.

This is the situation at the western end of Mui Ne Bay but not all the way along towards the eastern end, where there is a more varied clientele. I should also add that the term Mui Ne is quite incorrect and is being used to market the beachfront area that is called Ham Tien. Mui Ne is further along the coast on the side of Mui Ne Penninsula. If you are staying on Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street then you are in Ham Tien.

A girl from Belarus once told me that people particularly from Moscow like to travel to places that are frequented by Russians for convenience.

Cheers Ross

Edited: 5:42 pm, January 01, 2013
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
reviews: 25
5. Re: I am in Russia....

Although we have had a growing number of Russians coming to Phan Thiet for years, the real explosion of Russian tourists into both Phan Thiet and Nha Trang began with the revolution in Egypt. Prior to the 'Arab Spring', Egypt was the second most popular destination for Russian tourists outside of Russia. (Turkey was the first). When the revolution started in Egypt nearly two years ago, many of the tour operators from Russia switched their programs to other destinations. The largest operator was Pegas, which flies charters from ten cities around Russia. All of the charter flights were diverted from Egypt to Cam Ranh airport starting in November of 2010. When the daily flights land, about 65% of the passengers go north to Nha Trang and about 35% of them come to Phan Thiet.

Ross is correct when he stated that the large majority of the influx goes into western Ham Tien, which is now euphemistically referred to as 'Little Moscow' or 'The Russian Village'. I assume that is where you must be staying. Outside of that area, the clientele are much more diverse. For example, my resort, which is actually located in Mui Ne (Not Ham Tien which most tourists think is Mui Ne) currently has less than 20% Russian guests, with an equal number of Swedes and Vietnamese, plus between 10 and 20 guests from New Zealand, England, France, and the Netherlands, and a scattering of Americans, Australians and people from many other countries throughout the world.

Edited: 10:16 pm, January 01, 2013
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
6. Re: I am in Russia....

Steve, the Russians cannot easily get a Visa so they usually go in places were they are visa exempt...

Sharm and Turkey are/were the biggest ones but they are cold (ok, warm compared to Moscow) in winter, Vietnam is the only place with no visa and the sun in winter...

So Ham Tien is 80%LIttle Russia and 20% Flying OZ ^_^

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
7. Re: I am in Russia....

Sorry Maurizio, I'm confused (Not the first time), I thought OZ was 'down under'.

Bad Windsheim...
8. Re: I am in Russia....

Very good answers, Thank you.

We leave tomorrow and we will go to Can Tho next, so I bet we will be back in "Vietnam" then.

Travel safe!

Bad Windsheim...
9. Re: I am in Russia....

Steve, you are right, we are staying at Mia in Ham Tien. We'll catch the bus later and will go to real Mui Ne. (Just for statistics: no Russian overnight guests here, I think, but as soon as you step on the street...Kalinka....)

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
10. Re: I am in Russia....

MBAKA,

You are an island in the center of Little Moscow. The two resorts in the Russian Village that make a concerted effort to have as much an international mix of guests as possible are the Mia and Cham Villas (And to a lesser extent, the Anantara), but every other resort in west Ham Tien is 90+% Russian at the moment. Starting at the Blue Ocean and heading east is where you will find a much more international mix.

That said, the Mia is a wonderful little resort with a great restaurant.