We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest way to Mui ne from Hoi An? Is it via Ho Chi MInh

Which Mui Ne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
reviews: 12
Quickest way to Mui ne from Hoi An? Is it via Ho Chi MInh

Hello

We plan to fly from Hoi An (Danang) to Ho Chi Minh then take taxi to Mui Ne. Is this the quickest way of getting to Mui Ne?

I have heard there may be a way of getting there via Nha Trang. Does anyone no what this would involve and how long it will take?

Thanks

Swagman1

Saigon
1. Re: Quickest way to Mui ne from Hoi An? Is it via Ho Chi MInh

Hi Swagman1

The best way to get Mui Ne is flying to HCM and then take a bus to Mui Ne.

I never think the way to Nha Trang. nothing related to. since Nha Trang is far from Mui Ne around 300 km. See the Vietnam map. then u can see.

From HCM-Mui Ne around 180km, 4-5 hours by bus. u should not take a taxi since the cost maybe too high. the best way is take a good bus. the ticket is around 100.000 VND (6 USD) for one pax. There is some good bus is Mai Linh bus (on Hai Ba Trung near Opera house), Phuong Trang bus (on De Tham) or Kumho bus (sorry, don't know the address for ticket counter, I went to bus station to take bus with Kumho directly).

Hope my advice helps u.

Cheers,

Julia

sydney
2. Re: Quickest way to Mui ne from Hoi An? Is it via Ho Chi MInh

Thanks Julia

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
reviews: 33
3. Re: Quickest way to Mui ne from Hoi An? Is it via Ho Chi MInh

swagman the best advice is to bus it back to mui ne from HCM. Times and cost as mentioned are correct at present time. I would only ad advice to take the sit up bus not the sleeper (unless you travel at night) as I found sitting up in a sleeper coach not very comfortable. I book my trips that way at agencies on Pham Ngu Lao ( backpacker area) HCM.

Cheers Ross

Tasmania
4. Re: Quickest way to Mui ne from Hoi An? Is it via Ho Chi MInh

really depends on what flights you can get and whether you want to go to Nha Trang. The bus trip from Nha Trang is about the same duration as from HCMC 4-5 hours). I suppose the advantage is that you would not be travelling the same road twice as you could do Nha Trang to Mui Ne and then Mui Ne to HCMC. The major disadvantage will probably be the cost of the airfares - Danang to Nha Trang is likely to cost more.

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
reviews: 25
5. Re: Quickest way to Mui ne from Hoi An? Is it via Ho Chi MInh

Allovertheworld83,

I'm afraid Julia was incorrect. The bus or taxi ride from Nha Trang is actually shorter than from Ho Chi Minh City. The distance is almost the same (just over 200 km), but there is much less traffic from Nha Trang. Therefore, I would go through Nha Trang, unless the limited flights do not match your schedule.

There are a number of bus companies that provide transportation both from Nha Trang to Phan Thiet and from Saigon to Phan Thiet and the prices for the tickets are about the same, around VND 80,000 whether you go through Ho Chi Minh City or through Nha Trang. Some of the companies that serve both are Sinh Cafe, Phuong Trang, Tam Hanh and Hanh Cafe. All have comfortable air-conditioned buses.

However, if you go through Saigon and spend the night there before coming to Phan Thiet (Mui Ne is a ward of Phan Thiet), my suggestion is always to take the train. It's a much nicer journey, has retro 1950's style airline seating in first class, has a dining car and passes through much nicer scenery than what you see along the road. (i.e. - it goes through farmland and rice fields, rather than looking at the constant shacks and garbage that line the road while listening to unending horn honking.) The train leaves Saigon at 07:50 and gets into Phan Thiet before noon. Either arrange with your hotel to pick you up at the station or take a taxi. The train returns to Saigon at 13:50.

See you soon in Phan Thiet,

Steve

sydney
6. Re: Quickest way to Mui ne from Hoi An? Is it via Ho Chi MInh

Hi SteveMuiNe_Vietnam

Do you know what the road is like between Nha Trang and Phan Thiet/Mui ne?

Regards

Swagman1

ho chi minh city
reviews: 1
7. Re: Quickest way to Mui ne from Hoi An? Is it via Ho Chi MInh

Hey,

Take a flight from Hoi An to HCMC. Then from HCMC to Mui Ne, you can take a bus or a train. There's a morning train at Saigon Train Station at 01 Nguyen Thong Str., district 3. Buses are available at De Tham or Pham Ngu Lao area.

Have fun,

Jane.

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
8. Re: Quickest way to Mui ne from Hoi An? Is it via Ho Chi MInh

Swagman,

The road from Nha Trang to Mui Ne is the same highway as the road from Ho Chi Minh to Phan Thiet. In both directions, some parts of the road are good and some are not so good. The main difference is the time it takes to travel the road. From Nha Trang it is almost always four hours, but because of the traffic coming out of Saigon, which can be gridlocked, it can sometimes take five or even six hours from the city. Also, the last forty kilometers into Mui Ne is a coast road with absolutely no traffic at all and nice views of the coastline and the white sand dunes.

Steve

sydney
9. Re: Quickest way to Mui ne from Hoi An? Is it via Ho Chi MInh

Thanks Steve

I think we may try the Nha Trang road this time.

We've taken the other route HCM to Phan Thiet a few years back.

Would you have any idea how much a driver would cost between Nha Trang and Phan Thiet and also some interesting places to stop along the way.

Regards

Swagman1

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
10. Re: Quickest way to Mui ne from Hoi An? Is it via Ho Chi MInh

Swagman,

If you hire a private car and driver, the cost would be around US $100.00, give or take. Mai Linh taxi company is probably the most reliable.

As far as interesting places to stop, I really don't have much advice as all four times I took that road, I just went straight through to Mui Ne. However, I am aware that there is an interesting old (1,000 plus years) Cham tower (Pagoda) in Phan Rang, which has probably the largest Cham community in the country.

There are some nice beaches along the way and one restaurant right on the highway which sits on a cliff with a great ocean view. Also, you will pass the white sand dunes just before arriving in Mui Ne, so you might want to stop there.

Steve