We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island routes or private tour boat to go to Pelican Bar?

Which White House hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
alabama
reviews: 2
Island routes or private tour boat to go to Pelican Bar?

Going to SWH in July...want to go to the Pelcan Bar. Which would be better, Island Routes or private boat (we have 6 in our group) to the Pelican Bar?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
reviews: 142
1. Re: Island routes or private tour boat to go to Pelican Bar?

Browneyed, the Pelican is great. Either way is fun, depends on what you are looking for. We have done both and would repeat both. The IR's Tour is sort of a party scene with a great Catamaran ride with snacks and beverages. The return trip does get pretty exciting. As far as the private route, you would need to have a private driver to get you to Parottee and then a private boat from there to the Pelican. The private driver can setup the boat ride for you. The drive to Parottee is one hour and then the boat is ten minutes. Take a look at this link for more info and pictures:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1009314-i12763-k4…

Edited: 11:16 pm, June 18, 2013
Winds Junction, NS
reviews: 1
2. Re: Island routes or private tour boat to go to Pelican Bar?

You can book it thru Island Routes

Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 7
3. Re: Island routes or private tour boat to go to Pelican Bar?

Just be aware, I've been on the island routes tour, the way there is very choppy. I would say about 60 of the 90 people got sick on the ride there and the staff said it wasn't that bad of water.

Once you get there though it is a lot of fun. I thought it was worth the ride there. The ride back is much smoother as you are going with the current and wind

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 5
4. Re: Island routes or private tour boat to go to Pelican Bar?

We will be at Sandals Whitehouse 7/1-7/8. I did alot of research on this topic and landed at doing the private boat as opposed to Island Routes. We are using Joe Cool taxi which will pick us up by car at SWH and take us to Parotee Beach to catch the boat out to the PB. This is going to be around $125 total. I priced many different drivers/boats and this by far was the cheapest and came recommended. If you decide to do the private excursion do not go on Wednesday or Friday as that is when the IR excursion goes and its crowded. I think your decision really depends upon whether you want to do the crowd or experience it in a more local setting with less people.

Haverhill...
reviews: 25
5. Re: Island routes or private tour boat to go to Pelican Bar?

Hey RandB - can the private captains no longer pick up off-property from SWH (like we all did with Capt. Dennis)? That was such a great option for all of us! :)

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
reviews: 42
6. Re: Island routes or private tour boat to go to Pelican Bar?

I totally enjoyed our trip with Capt Dennis...which we did with Winnekini and RandBTravel and a number of other TA regulars. It would be a shame if Capt Dennis could no longer pick up outside the pier at SWH! I liked the fact we went in the morning and were among the first to arrive at the bar...no crowds and with lots of time for ourselves to just enjoy the uniqueness of this very unique place!

alabama
reviews: 2
7. Re: Island routes or private tour boat to go to Pelican Bar?

Yes, I would much rather be able to pick up at the pier at the resort if that was an option, if we were to go with a private boat. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Nebraska, United...
reviews: 18
8. Re: Island routes or private tour boat to go to Pelican Bar?

Wow, there were 90 people on your catamaran to PB? Holy moly! I didn't even think 90 people would fit on that boat. When we went there were maybe 20 people, including crew. That was in January. I did get a bit sea sick on the way, but I was sitting up top and it was a little rough. I went below, had a ginger ale, and stood on the back and it was better. Could POSSIBLY have had something to do with the drinks from the night before (thank you very much Copeland!).

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 5
9. Re: Island routes or private tour boat to go to Pelican Bar?

Yes Captain Dennis does pick up on site but it is VERY expensive and you have to have more than one couple to do it. When reaching out to him, he told me that he charges a high rate for this because of the distance from Treasure Beach to WH, to PB back to WH to Treasure Beach

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
reviews: 142
10. Re: Island routes or private tour boat to go to Pelican Bar?

We have done the IR's Tour and loved it, no one got sick. However, there can certainly be rougher days.

We do like the private driver/private boat route and have done that three times. Jamy, you will love Joe Cool. He is very dependable and has always had great prices.

TP & Winne, that was the best ever trip from SWH to PB. Not sure if the WH still lets him do it, I might check on that one.

Browneye, you will love the Pelican.