We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread

Which White House hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Maine...
reviews: 44
JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread

Ok, thought I'd start a thread for this instead of polluting some of the others. Everytime I see it mentioned I want to say something. From a review today:

"No tipping is required but I believe in tipping so I did anyways."

I believe in tipping as well kind sir however I also believe in honoring Sandals no tipping policy. I would never want to jeopordize anyone's job and have heard many stories of Sandals employees being fired for accepting tips.

"Other all-inclusive resorts claim to include tips but the staff still expects it. At Sandals tipping is prohibited and a genuine smile is all that's expected. Only personal butlers are allowed to receive tips."

183 replies to this topic
near Chicago
reviews: 23
1. Re: JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread

Like.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
reviews: 8
2. Re: JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread

There are some resorts that say "tipping isn't required". There are others that say "tipping is prohibited". Usually when it says that it isn't required, a lot of places still allow tipping. And if it's allowed, then tip. If it's prohibited, then that's what it means.

Some people tip to help out/reward the person they are tipping, while other people tip to make themselves feel good or important. The latter is usually who tips when it's prohibited.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
reviews: 126
3. Re: JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread

Good clarification anod1, and of course Sandals falls into the NO tipping catagorey.

Since this topic has been beaten to death way too many times, I will keep it short. NO tipping means No tipping!!! Pretty simple. I also know several Sandals staff members that have known friends that lost their jobs due to taking a tip. Sandals does have a gratuity share plan so that all staff receive a share, the ones up front and the ones behind the scenes. This comes from the cost of the vacation that we all pay for. I will always continue to respect the local Jamaicans job at Sandals and will continue to show our appreciation with many thanks and will take time to visit with them as well.

Portland, Maine...
4. Re: JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread

From a review today:

"I find it VERY sad that Sandal's does not allow tipping. I will say we tipped when we could, VERY discreetly. The employees deserve to be tipped."

ARGH!!!!!!!!

San Diego, CA
reviews: 11
5. Re: JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread

I think Sandals is partly responsible for the tip/no tip confusion on the part of the travelers. While they state a “no tip” policy, they do not explain that in its place all employees (except butlers) receive some compensation from a “profit sharing” pool which is funded by your room rate. In a way, once you’ve paid in full you have already tipped everyone at that resort – including those that normally don’t get a chance for a tip (like gardeners).

Springfield, OH
reviews: 28
6. Re: JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread

Thank you RandB for this statement: "Sandals does have a gratuity share plan so that all staff receive a share, the ones up front and the ones behind the scenes." I like that "everyone" gets to share in this type tipping. Is it fair that the people out front (bartenders, servers, etc.) get tips, but the people that cook the meals, keep the grounds beautiful, wash the dishes, etc., get nothing? You are paying for the tips in what you pay for your room. We have gone to other resorts that allow tipping, and our room costs quite a bit less, but we more than made up the price by tipping everyone. This is one of the reasons we stick with Sandals. I hate carrying a big wad of bills just for tipping.

Portland, Maine...
7. Re: JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread

Like RandB said, this topic has been beaten to death but I made this thread to at least post (even if it's to myself) my frustrations when I see some of these comments by people.

The no tipping policy is one of the things that brought us to the Sandals brand for the same reason Dagma mentions. We hate having to carry around a big wad of bills just for tipping.

Liberal, Kansas
reviews: 1
8. Re: JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread

I just have to chime in on this one as I saw the post earlier "I will say we tipped when we could, VERY discreetly. The employees deserve to be tipped" and I was also upset by it.

The NO tipping policy and the fact that the "tips" are included in the price of your stay and distributed evenly is the precise reason we chose Sandals as our 10 yr anniversary trip. We have never been to a Sandals resort, heck we've never even been out of the US! I have every intention during our stay to enjoy the beach, eat the wonderful food that's prepared, take walks among the beautiful grounds that are cared for, use the towels and bedding that will need washed, etc and in my mind the people that care for and tend to these things deserve a tip just as much as the people that are seen by everybody. They work just as hard! Plus, I would never, ever want to put someone in danger of possibly losing their job!

As a previous food/drink server, I fully understand the WANTING to tip to show your appreciation but there are other ways to do so since tipping is NOT allowed.

manchester, New...
reviews: 1
9. Re: JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread

I get weirdly upset when people suggest they tip discreetly, or that they didn't get any service until they forked over some cash! How about not being a jerk. That'll get you good service every time!

I'm glad it's not just me!

Edited: 3:52 pm, July 10, 2013
Truth or...
10. Re: JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread

I will go one step further and state that I don't think the butlers should be placed in a separate category. Sandals should have one policy (tipping or no tipping) and apply it equally to all staff.

Reply to: JTB's Tipping at Sandals Thread
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted