We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else get bumped from Sandals Whitehouse in October?

Which White House hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Anyone else get bumped from Sandals Whitehouse in October?

My fiance and I booked a trip to Sandals Whitehouse back in March and just were informed we have to move because of an electrical problem there. They are going to have to shut down in the middle of our trip. I know the other Sandals resorts are pretty, but we had our heart set on going there.

We just called them today to cancel since we have trip protection, and they claim we can't cancel the trip without canceling our airfare, which is non-refundable. Additionally, they never even offered us the option of canceling despite them bumping us from our booked vacation location. We weren't even offered a spa coupon for the inconvenience.

I'm sure there are lots of other couples out there in our situation, and I feel terribly for them. Beware of Sandals! They clearly only care about making money and not the satisfaction of their customers.

pittsburgh pa
reviews: 1
11. Re: Anyone else get bumped from Sandals Whitehouse in October?

According to what I read on the Delta vacation site they are closing 8-17 until 12-17. Will reopen on 12-18-09. I tried booking at that time and you cant do it on Sandals site. I am surprised they are not offering free upgrades to people

Indiana
reviews: 5
12. Re: Anyone else get bumped from Sandals Whitehouse in October?

They will do whatever they can to keep their customers happy.

This is an unfortunate situation that is outside of their control. If they could upgrade everyone, they would...but there isn't enough room in the other resorts to upgrade everyone.

If I were affected by this situation, I would be polite and persistent until I got something that satistfied me.

However, insisting on something specific like a special upgrade and only at Sandals Negril might not do any good. There is only so many rooms...

San Diego, CA
reviews: 11
13. Re: Anyone else get bumped from Sandals Whitehouse in October?

I don’t know how much the repairs to the electrical/water systems are going to cost Sandals (apparently they were a “partner” in the development and shared the cost with government agencies) but they stand to lose up to $23 million in revenue while Whitehouse is closed. That’s an “average” based on number of rooms – if you assume a 60 percent occupancy during the period, then it’s only $14 million. Obviously, that potential loss can be mitigated by retaining the guests via using rooms at their other resorts. I doubt, however, that they will be able to recoup all of the losses in that manner – as Easton points out, there are only so many rooms – so just how much it is going to cost them in lost revenue is still going to be a big number. I suspect that many of the staff at Whitehouse will still receive salaries as you want to keep as many key people as possible over the hiatus (I know they did this during the SDR refurbish), so you can add that to the number as well.

In short, I expect “compensation for your inconvenience” to be modest at best and low on the priority list. If they were really the greedy s.o.b.s that some think, they would keep the place open while the work is being done.

poole
reviews: 12
14. Re: Anyone else get bumped from Sandals Whitehouse in October?

We were due to go to Whitehouse for 10 days from September 15th.

We had huge problems with our UK agents who were no help at all. Contacted Ruth at Trip Guys (Irielady)who offered lots of advice. What an amazing person. If I lived in the US I would definitely use this Agency to book my vacations. Even though we are not her client she couldn't do enough. The world needs more of these people!

We are now going to Sandals Antigua!

Is there anyone else in the same boat during this time?

I suggest the Whitehouse Refugees should meet in a bar or at the pool and drown our sorrows with a few Bob Marleys! We could all celebrate what a good choice we have made.

Shame about Whitehouse. Great Place - can't wait to re-book when it is safe!

Jill and Alan

UK.

West Sussex
reviews: 21
15. Re: Anyone else get bumped from Sandals Whitehouse in October?

My partner and I were booked to visit Whitehouse from 11/28 to 12/5. I am a SSG member having travelled to both Sandals Grande St Lucian and Sandals Negril in the past.

Sandals UK office called me only 2 weeks ago to tell me of the closure. That was at least 2 weeks after you guys in the US were told. As a consequence there was very limited availability at Negril. The UK office insulted me by offering me a seaside luxury room at Negril saying that it was the same standard as the Penthouse Honeymoon Beachfront Concierge room I had booked at Whitehouse. I don't think so!

I took some great advice from IrieLady and called the Miami office directly. I have settled on a Bay Roc suite at Montego Bay. I really wanted to go to a resort that offered waterskiing so my choices were limited. IrieLady talked me through my options and even sent me a whole bunch of photos so I could make an informed decision. She won't earn a penny in commission for the work she did for me this time, as it was a trip already booked, but I will absolutely recommend her without question. Look her up on TripAdvisor and book your next Sandals trip through her - she knows her stuff and can also get you a great deal.

I'm now really looking for to my 7 days in paradise.

west virginia
reviews: 22
16. Re: Anyone else get bumped from Sandals Whitehouse in October?

I've said it before IrieLady is a Peach in a barrel of Apples!

Bud

17. Re: Anyone else get bumped from Sandals Whitehouse in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 01, 2010