We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding at Gran Melia

Which Rio Grande hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rahway, New Jersey
reviews: 103
Wedding at Gran Melia

Hello,

I am attending a wedding at the Gran Melia on a Saturday in April. We are planning to spend Friday through Tuesday in Puerto Rico. This hotel costs more than I would ideally like to spend, but I would stay there on the Saturday night for convenience.

So my question is, is Rio Grande a good place to stay the entire time? If so, are there nearby hotels - upscale but cheaper - for the other nights?

This will be our first time in Puerto Rico, and we would like to see the major sites, so I am wondering if we should stay in San Juan itself the other nights instead.

Armonk, New York
reviews: 78
1. Re: Wedding at Gran Melia

The North East region of PR is a prime place to base. It is close to many of the major attractions such as the El Yunque Rain Forest, Luquillo Beach, Horseback and ATV tours, the Bio Bay in Fajardo, Zip lines, etc. A great site for the full list is http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/ .

There are four major resorts in the area. Gran Melia, Bahia Beach ($$$$), and Wyndham Rio Mar, are clustered close together and the El Conquistador is a few miles to the east. If you have to ask the rates at Bahia you can't afford it. Rio Mar sometimes has a little better rates that Gran Melia but April is still high season. Check the travel sites for deals as the prices fluctuate a lot from week to week and special to special.

The decision regarding San Juan or the North East is about the atmosphere you want. The North East has a Carri bean / Island Feel; San Juan has an urban / Miami Beach feel. Your choice.

San Juan
reviews: 11
2. Re: Wedding at Gran Melia

You could check Rio Mar, which is not very far from Melia and somewhat cheaper but just as nice.

3. Re: Wedding at Gran Melia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, March 09, 2013