We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dana Point...
reviews: 1
Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos

We're planning a trip to the Caribbeans and it's between Turks and Caicos or Cayman islands. Has anyone been to both of these destinations. We're in our early 60's. We're in great physical shape. We enjoy beautiful clear warm water, which I'm sure both destinations offer. We love to walk, cayak, hike or just relax on a beautiful beach.

We like happy hours, not to much into big expensive dinners. Which destination has more to offer?

26 replies to this topic
Mount Tabor, New...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
reviews: 18
1. Re: Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos

More to do in GC and better overall dinning. Slightly better and more desolate beach in TCI. Both are on the more expensive end of Caribbean destinations.

Minnetrista...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos

Agree with Testudo. No better place to take a walk or relax than on SMB in GC!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 16
3. Re: Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos

Ditto! Of course this is the Cayman forum so maybe we are biased. Been to Turks twice, but keep coming bak to Cayman

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 5
4. Re: Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos

We've been to both several times, and like GC and TCI for different reasons. GC has more things to do, better shopping, more restaurants, etc. The tourism infrastructure is more developed with it being a wealthier island and a cruise port, with the accompanying pros and cons.

TCI we like for the quieter, slower feel. There are a number of good restaurants, the beaches are the best I've seen, and exploring islands other than Providenciales is easily done. It's a bit more off the beaten track and more our style.

That said, we'll be back in GC later this week, bringing my parents for their first visit. They like to get out and see the sights vs. spending time on the beach, so GC will suit them well.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 10
5. Re: Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos

Have not been to T&C, although very tempted due to super beaches and accommodation choices. Almost pulled the trigger for our first vaca there next month, BUT hubby and I ultimately opted for another SMB GC respite....been toGC about 15 times since 1996 (even 6 months post Ivan when GC still in the throes of that incediby destructive storm).... GC never disappoints on any level!

Dana Point...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos

Thank you so much for your replies. Looking at the Villas of the Galleon for the end of April located on the 7 mile stretch.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 66
7. Re: Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos

Having never been to either of the two, but pricing out lodging, food, etc., I get the impression that Provo is much more expensive destination than GC. But, that's just my impression. Either way, only GC could accommodate our dates for travel, so GC it is.

In terms of things to do, I'd like to know what ELSE there is to do in GC besides the obvious water activities- beaches, snorkel, visit stingray city (not interested), visit Hell (just to say we did), turtle farm and possible hiking that I've read is not so good and others said it was great. Not to give the impression that I need to be entertained, give me the beach and I'm perfectly content, just pointing out the fact that I'm hearing people say there's a lot to do but in my mind there doesn't seem like much other than the aforementioned.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Sorry to steal your thread.

Chime in people...

Edited: 3:07 am, February 19, 2013
Mount Tabor, New...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
reviews: 18
8. Re: Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos

Visiting Grand Cayman and not seeing either Sting Ray City or Sting Ray Sand Bar is like: going to Paris and not seeing the Effiel Tower, hitting Cairo and somehow missing the great pyramids, Yellowstone and skipping Old Faithful, Niagara Fall and not seeing any water, and on.

Fairfax, Virginia
reviews: 37
9. Re: Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos

We did the Atlantis Submarine ride and had a blast. It's a great way to see fish and coral at depths only divers get to see. (We're snorkelers, not divers.)

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 16
10. Re: Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos

Kim

Some things to do in Cayman on the land

Tour Pedro St. James, and the Mission House in Boddentown.

Tour the mangroves or do a biolum tour with Cayman Kayaks

Tour the Botanic Garden and the Iguana Recovery Program there (11 am except Sunday)

Take a drive out to Rum Point and Kaibo

Reply to: Which one, Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about West Bay