We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellowstone road trip

reviews: 20
yellowstone road trip

I could use some help with an itinerary for our Yellowstone 2014 road trip. We will be leaving Chicago area and want to site see on the way to Yellowstone and home. Which routes would be best? Mt Rushmore, Badlands and anywhere else would be good. We will have 16 days total and want to spend at least 7 days in Yellowstone and Jackson Hole. Traveling with 14 and 7 year old boys in August.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 296
1. Re: yellowstone road trip

What dates in August? You will want to avoid the Black Hills area from about August 1-10 because of the Sturgis Bike Rally. Lots of people there and hotel rates are through the roof!!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 232
2. Re: yellowstone road trip

Consider going out via I-94 through North Dakota with a stop in Medora for Teddy Roosevelt National Park. Then enter Yellowstone via Red Lodge, MT and the Beartooth Highway (breathtaking) into the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone. Heading back look at I-90 picking up Devil's Tower in eastern Wyoming then Mt. Rushmore and Black Hills. Do note PeachBelle's advice on avoiding the Sturgis motorcycle event. Wall Drug plus the Corn Palace in Mitchell are also fun stops on that route.

Have fun.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
3. Re: yellowstone road trip

Good advice. Going via Medora (2 days from Chicago) make a reservation for sure with the present oil boom and the festival there. Prob sold out already. Beartooth makes a fantastic drive. Are you going to visit Grand Teton NP also? On the way back drive via Cody with its Buffalo Bill museums and the nite rodeo.

Tet

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 86
4. Re: yellowstone road trip

It might be better to stick to one thread instead of starting multiple ones.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k6655965…

Plus I think some of your questions might have been answered on the question you asked in this thread as well.

tripadvisor.com/…51198733

It just helps the *regulars* to look back in one place to see what others have suggested.

It's going to be a fun trip for you all. Have any of the suggestions helped you to formulate a plan?

Pam

5. Re: yellowstone road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 18, 2014