We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to Yellowstone

Wellington, Florida
Denver to Yellowstone

We are flying into Denver and driving to Yellowstone. Can anyone suggest a good midpoint place to stop? I have two kids (8 and 6), so it'd be great to see something interesting along the way. Thanks!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 61
1. Re: Denver to Yellowstone

Most suggestions might well involve scenery & wide open spaces "Somewhere West of Laramie".. That they may get little enjoyment from... I'll suggest the freeways to Casper,turning on to the US 20 to a overnight at Thermopolis... for a hot springs swim... Driving then, to Cody next AM, for a look at the Buffalo Bill, Museum complex... And fer lunch... throws their lip over a buffalo burger... carracar

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
2. Re: Denver to Yellowstone

Hi.

i second Carracars suggestion, Dinosaur Center also in Thermopolis.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g60564-Activit…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 279
3. Re: Denver to Yellowstone

Casper, Thermapolis, Cody and Lander all have some interesting sites.

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
4. Re: Denver to Yellowstone

For lunch in Cody, the Irma Hotel is a classic.

Thermopolis is lots of fun - you might want to plan to go home that way. There are no waterslides in Yellowstone, wouldn't want to get their hopes up!

Stillwater...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Denver to Yellowstone

Wow, everyone agrees on Thermopolis! I think it's a great town too. Walk around the Hot Springs and Rainbow Terraces, take a dip in the State Bath House, (free), &/or take the kids to Star Plunge. Visit the Wyoming Dinosaur Museum, drive out to see the petroglyphs. Wow you haven't even made to Yellowstone yet! As you can see, there is a lot to do just in Thermopolis.

http://thermopolis.com/

Google puts the drive from Denver to Thermopolis, at about 6 hrs. That may be a long day depending on when your flight arrives.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
6. Re: Denver to Yellowstone

More like 7 hours from DIA with a short reststop. Will you be visiting Grand Teton NP as well?

Stillwater...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Denver to Yellowstone

6 hrs. would be straight thru, and there are some neat places along the way. Personally I couldn't do that drive without 3 stops,

Vedauwoo, http://www.vedauwoo.org/

Independence Rock/Devils Gate

…state.wy.us/trailsdemo/independencerock256k…

wyoshpo.state.wy.us/trailsdemo/devilsgate.htm

Wellington, Florida
8. Re: Denver to Yellowstone

Thank you all for your responses! Based on your suggestions, I will book a night in Thermopolis. Our trip will look like this:

Day 1: Arrive in Denver. I don't have that night booked bc I'm not sure how far we'll get after a long flight from Florida with two kids.

Day 2: Grand Tetons NP

Days 3-9: Yellowstone! I'm a little concerned that this may be too much time in the park for the boys, but we are staying in several different places so hopefully there'll be enough to keep them interested.

Day 10: Thermopolis

Days 11-14: Denver

I'd appreciate any other suggestions! Thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
9. Re: Denver to Yellowstone

If you want to go to Grand Teton NP first I suggest to stay overnight in Laramie or the like first day and next day you easily can make it to Jackson via Rock Springs. Maybe add a full day for GTNP before Yell. Before Denver on the way back maybe pay a visit to Rocky Mountains NP.

Aubrey, Texas
reviews: 144
10. Re: Denver to Yellowstone

First night I suggest either Ft. Collins, CO or Rawlins, WY depending upon your flight arrival time. Shortest route to Grand Tetons is through Rawlins then up 287 and 26 to Moran. That takes you through the scenic Wind River Valley. First view of the Tetons is enticing and it only gets better. No need to go into Jackson unless you want to see it, which I do recommend. There are good places to stay near Moran including Colter Bay Village and Signal Mountain Lodge.