We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tool/website to find hotels along a route

Paris, France
Tool/website to find hotels along a route

I'm in the process of building a website that would help travellers to find the best place to stay on a road. I've already built a prototype that work pretty well but I was wondering what features could be really interesting to add :

- Distance from the road (ie => detour importance)

- Distance from the start, distance to the end ?

- traveltime (by car) from start

- hotel reviews

- Facilities (restaurant, car park, swimming pool...)

- Price

I guess it could be all of these but I'm trying to define what's really important when you're on the road and try to find the best place to stay between two places. Don't really know if it's the right forum to post also... so please don't blame me for this :)

Thanks !

20 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
reviews: 27
1. Re: Tool/website to find hotels along a route

There are a few websites like that ... here's a sample of one in the USA.

http://roadnow.com/i40/

Can give you some ideas ....

Good luck.

Paris, France
2. Re: Tool/website to find hotels along a route

Thanks EagleManiac.

I actually do know the roadnow website but I really find it not very user friendly. The website I'm developing (can't advertise for it here because of the community forums guildeline) is just a big Google maps where you search for driving directions and can move along the road dragging the map. I find it very useful myself but don't know if real travellers would use it.

Ben.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
3. Re: Tool/website to find hotels along a route

Hotels all over he world? Or for the USA alone? There are 100 of 1000s of them. And what's the "best" place to stay? We like chain hotels and others like B&B's etc etc. Traveltimes you can find on Google, Mapquest, Michelin and many more. For interstate driving there's a book called The Next Exit also with restaurants and more info.

Paris, France
4. Re: Tool/website to find hotels along a route

Well google maps and michelin don't provide hotels on the map along the itinerary. Mapquest does it quite nicely actually I didn't know that. The service is worldwide but relies on google driving directions and on the hotel database I've choosen to use. Thanks for all your advices.

Gothenburg, Sweden
reviews: 94
5. Re: Tool/website to find hotels along a route

Hi!

At first I thought the program you are developing are suppose to help me while I am on the road, but then I realized it is to be used BEFORE I leave home - hence the website and not an smart phone app, right?

Just to make sure before I answer, because of different answers which one it is :)

Paris, France
6. Re: Tool/website to find hotels along a route

Hi Nisse2ears !

Yes it's a website => www.hotelbetween.com

I would love to read your recommendations

Ben

Edited: 3:13 pm, September 17, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
7. Re: Tool/website to find hotels along a route

Wow! I like it!

What I like:

- The pop up window for setting the night stop! Easy to see the distance I attend to drive my first day.

- I can change the suggested route manually on the map

- Suggested hotels shows rating, distance from home (The data for distance to final destination is empty, but I am sure you are aware of that)

- That the dates I fill in at the first hotel I check follow to the next hotel I check

What I would like:

- Possibility to fill in all of the planned night stops in a pop up window

- Distance from last night stop to show at every new night stop

- The route to show all of my planned stops at the map when I am finished

- The distance shown in both miles and kilometers

Nice to have:

Is it somehow possible to use the dates for my trip somehow? I am thinking to see how many days I need to take into account from start to finish...?

(For some reason my display name changed and can't be changed back, when I stupidly enough tried the new "Local Picks" application from TripAdvisor, but I am still Nisse2ears)

Paris, France
8. Re: Tool/website to find hotels along a route

Thanks for your precious feedback !

I definitely will try to add the feature of specifying multiple waypoints along your route. I'm not sure if this tool can evolve to become a real trip planner (where you specify things to see, places you stay at and for how long, and get user advices and reviews). It might just remain a simple search hotel service for now but i'll have to think about that.

I am also thinking of adding specific route directions from your original route to the hotel you've chosen so that one could get detailed response for the question "For how long should I drive after leaving the main road to reach my hotel ?"

miles or kilometers display preference is coming soon :)

Cheers,

Ben

Gothenburg, Sweden
9. Re: Tool/website to find hotels along a route

Your wrote:

I'm not sure if this tool can evolve to become a real trip planner (where you specify things to see, places you stay at and for how long, and get user advices and reviews). It might just remain a simple search hotel service for now but i'll have to think about that.

>>>I think that is fine with just the night stops. What i was thinking of was just to be able to take into account how many night stops I need and how many days the total trip will be.

That way I can plan according to either 1) I have one week to get from A to B how long do I need to drive each day to manage and how many night stops does that make? or 2) I want to go from A to B but I only want to drive 6 hours (or 600 kms) a day, how many days (and night stops) do I need before I reach B? (Am I clear enough?)

Or something like that. Just brainstorming! :)

Keep up the good work!

Gothenburg, Sweden
10. Re: Tool/website to find hotels along a route

You wrote:

I am also thinking of adding specific route directions from your original route to the hotel you've chosen so that one could get detailed response for the question "For how long should I drive after leaving the main road to reach my hotel ?"

>>>That's a good idea, but I am not sure how much I would need to know directions at planning stage at home. Well, to know time factors yes, but that is important maybe only if it is a long drive (to know if I will arrive at daytime or late night). Is your idea that i should print out the directions or in what other way can I use them?

For me, once I am on the road I use GPS or other apps for directions.

Did I understand you correctly?

Edited: 8:38 am, September 18, 2012
Reply to: Tool/website to find hotels along a route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted