We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA West Coast Motorcycle Tour

USA West Coast Motorcycle Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:07 pm, October 24, 2011
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
1. Re: USA West Coast Motorcycle Tour

Hi lanky, Just want to make sure you know that Death Valley will be in the 43-48+ range and you won't have aircon!!! Be careful!

Don't understand "carrying lids"??

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: USA West Coast Motorcycle Tour

How many days are you coming?

3. Re: USA West Coast Motorcycle Tour

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

4. Re: USA West Coast Motorcycle Tour

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
5. Re: USA West Coast Motorcycle Tour

A whole lot of this takes place in CA so I'd post on that forum. The coast is pretty, but in my experience is not that folksy, like the "real America" you're looking for. That would be harder to find, but I'm sure it is there.

The central valley is full of real people, but again it is hot in July. The mountain area in the higher elevations above Fresno going toward Yosemite might be good. There are tourists there but the locals aren't as upscale. It would be cooler too, and fun riding. I am in particular remembering a drive coming out of the south end of Sequoia National Park that was very twisty (if that is what you're looking for).

Reno and Tahoe have some pretty roads and nice locals. I would definitely post on the CA forum, though!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
6. Re: USA West Coast Motorcycle Tour

As far as your question about the helmets in carry-on, I suspect you'll need to call the airline. Or, if you don't feel like sitting on "hold" for a half hour, try posting that question here on TA in the Air Travel forum. Those folks are amazing in their knowledge. Do mention the specific airline.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Are UK helmets allowed? As far as I know, any hard-material helmet is okay. I know the Harley riders wear these funky dumb little cap helmets, so any decent helmet is probably okay. (My apologies to any Harley riders...) Keep in mind that would be a state rule, not national.

Two weeks is pretty tight, especially since you're wanting to find "real America". (When you find it, let me know, LOL)

There are some non-freeway desert roads between LA and LV - maybe some of Route 66 might interest you? But it will be HOT.

The coast route Hwy 1 between SF and LA is well worth it and you'll have lovely weather along there. Zip quickly past Big Sur (too lah-de-dah yuppyized) and stop in Pismo Beach.

Mind your speed on the freeways, keep it to 9 over posted and you'll be okay. Should be okay.

Welcome to TA :-)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
7. Re: USA West Coast Motorcycle Tour

I've seen a lot of people without a helmetts on the US highways but I guess they are "bikies" and no motorcyclists (I guess...). O well. As mentioned before it will be extremely hot esp. in Death Valley and towards and in Las Vegas. A great 2 days route between LA and LV is to ride I10 eastbound to the 3rd Palm Springs exit, take 62 east to Yucca Valley, make the short sidetrip to Pioneer Town and continue to Joshua Tree and the west entrance of Joshua Tree NP. Ride thru Joshua Tree and leave this NP by its east entrance, to Twentynine Palms, see the murals and stay 29Palms for the night. Then next morning take Amboy Road to Amboy, see Amboy Crater and stop at Roy's Cafe on National Trails highway (formerly R66) Drive a short stretch of R66 east and drive north up to Mojave National Preserve, stopping at Kelso Dunes and Kelso visitor center and depot and drive along the tracks of Union Pacific to Cima, to I15 and to Las Vegas.

For the stretch thru Death Valley NP. Start very early, take exit 33 off I15 to NV160 (Blue Diamond Hw) to Pahrump. Then Bell Vista rd/Stateline road to Death valley Junction, turn right and immediately left and ride into Death Valley NP. First stop at Dante's View (via a paved side road up in the mountains), then continue 190 and stop at Zabriskie point. Turn left after ZP and drive to Badwater, lowest point in the USA. On your way to Badwater make the short side (dirt) road to Devils Golf Course. From Badwater return on 178 and make the Artist Drive loop and stop at Artists Palette back to Furnace Creek visitor center. Then ride 190 and see Stovepipe Wells Dunes on your right hand side and Devils Cornfield on your left hand side, maybe a drink/food at Stovepipe Wells village before the uphill drive to Panamint Springs and on to Lone Pine for the night.

For both routes, fill your tank at resp. 29Palms and in Pahrump.

From Lone Pine take the very scenic 395 north to Bishop, Mammoth Lakes and via June Lake loop to Lee Vining for a visit to Mono Lake. Then ride Tioga Pass road to Yosemite and visit Yosemite NP (you'll need reservations here). Between Lone Pine and Yosemite NP are several places to stock up and have a drink/food. I'll mention 2 of them. In Bishop stop at Erik Schat's bakery (adjacent to the best Western Creekside Inn along 395)for fine food and in Lee Vining have lunch at Whoa Nelli Deli at the Mobil gasstation on 120 (the Tioga Pass road).

From Yosemite to San Francisco (never miss this City by the Bay, at least for 2 days and ride down hw 1 to

Los Angeles taking at least 2 but better 3 days for it. Some of my favorite places to stop for the night are Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sir, Cambria, Pismo Beach and Santa Barbara. South of Santa Barbara from Oxnard take Pacific Coast highway via Malibu to Santa Monica and Venice.

You'll have a fantastic trip and I hope this short summary already helped a bit.

Tet

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
8. Re: USA West Coast Motorcycle Tour

Typo. Big Sir must be Big Sur of course.

9. Re: USA West Coast Motorcycle Tour

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:26 am, November 09, 2009