We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel emergency paper

Shanghai, China
reviews: 14
travel emergency paper

I made myself an "emergency paper" for while I am on the road. I thought about things to happen while traveling: Passport is lost/stolen and you need to see your consulate/embassy, you have an accident, a critical medical condition and need to go to a hospital, your bank/credit cards get stolen and usually the numbers to dial in this case are ON the credit card - haha! You get arrested and need to contact your embassy. So took a word file and put flw into it:

- Scan of my passport ID page and local ID from my home country (I am an expat living in China)

- insurance number and contact details of my private health insurance

- medical condition/history for quick reference for a doctor (blood type, allergies, current medication etc.)

- whom to contact in an emergency

- important phone numbers i.e. credit card, mobile phone provider, emergency number of the foreign affairs office (like …state.gov/content/…emergencies.html ) and/or the contact details of the local embassy for the country/countries you travel to.

While on the road one copy is in my wallet, one in my luggage and a PDF is online in the cloud. Idea is to save precious time in case of a real emergency and have all data in one place. Like the life vest in a plane. Hope I never need it but surely glad to have it if I need it.

Just wanted to share this with you.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: travel emergency paper

Just be careful that you're not recording personal info that could be used for identity theft or hacking into personal accounts, etc. on that sheet of paper that anyone can steal from you.

Real personal info should only be stored in a safe, fully encrypted manner.

Cheers,

Terry

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
2. Re: travel emergency paper

Agree you may be setting yourself up for identity theft.

I keep any necessary phone numbers in my cell phones. My phonebook automatically links to my Google account, so they are online too in case my phone dies or gets lost/stolen. If I am traveling internationally I add the embassy/consulate number to my phone, and also have the international number for the US State Department.

You really don't to know your account numbers if you have a lost/stolen card. Just look up the number for your bank, call them and they can identify you by your name, address, SSN, etc. You could also call VIsa/MC/Amex directly if you don't know your bank's number. I also have access to all of my banking accounts online, and all of my login details and passwords are stored encrypted online using LastPass.

Medical cards would also not really be a priority. They can identify you by name, address, SSN, etc. If you are badly hurt they are going to treat you regardless of insurance. If you are hurt so badly that you cannot communicate they are probably not going to take the time to search for that stuff anyway. If you have allergies or other complications that would be critical to be known, you should probably look at a medic alert bracelet or similar that first responders will know to look for.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 55
3. Re: travel emergency paper

This is one case where I fully agree with Terry.

Besides, never leave all unprotected info on paper in your checked luggage.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 2
4. Re: travel emergency paper

"One case?" Really? That's it?!

LOL... ;-)

Cheers,

Terry

Shanghai, China
reviews: 14
5. Re: travel emergency paper

OK, I see what you mean. But my passport goes through so many hands while traveling. Here in China I need it every time I check in to a hotel and they make a copy of the ID part. Some travel agents require a scan as well to book a flight. So where is the harm of carrying a scan with you? Otherwise no other personal info on that except the number of my private health insurance which, unlike the SSN in the US maybe, is worth nothing to anyone else. Nothing else is linked to that, except my details at the insurance.

I like "I keep any necessary phone numbers in my cell phones." I did and do as well. But when my phone was stolen on a trip to Europe I needed about 20 minutes to find out the hotline number, it as it was in my phone which was now gone. That was one of the things leading to creating such a paper.

London, England
reviews: 48
6. Re: travel emergency paper

Dunno about China but the travel emergency paper I carry in southern Europe comes in a little pack labelled kleenex; highly versatile (useful for both ends) but so far only available in analogue (not digital) format

Magog, Canada
reviews: 609
7. Re: travel emergency paper

Similarly, I scan all my important documents, credit cards, passport and visa, birth certificate, even my car registration, etc. Everything is a password protected PDF file which I have on my iPhone and iPad. I also email a copy to myself on an email account that I can access from anywhere.

Was useful more than once including last summer when the police stopped me for a routine check while I was boating without my wallet and they required an id to prove I was the owner of the boat. I showed my passport copy on my phone and that did the trick.

Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 52
8. Re: travel emergency paper

We lived in China several years and also were required to hand over our passports for copying at hotels. Sometimes the clerk would keep them a few hours and then deliver them to our room. We never really had any issues but were often apprehensive about being separated from our passports and the attached residence permit.

Our solution: we simply made our own copies and when checking in showed our passport and then gave the clerk the copy we made. We stayed dozens of times at hotels using this method and it always worked for us.

9. Re: travel emergency paper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 19, 2015