We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T-mobile free international roaming any good?

Boston
reviews: 45
T-mobile free international roaming any good?

Hi! I would like to know if anyone has taken their smartphone abroad to Europe since T-mobile released their Simple Global product. Has it been any good? Did you purchase the high-speed data allowance? What did you use your smartphone for?

I'm considering taking mine to France and UK for keeping track of the rest of my family via a tracking app and looking up attraction and restaurant details, not phone calls.

Any thoughts you can offer would be great!

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Aubrey, Texas
reviews: 144
1. Re: T-mobile free international roaming any good?

My wife just got back from the UK. The phone worked great. It was good not to worry about getting a local SIM card. But she got confused and thought she still had to worry about data charges. So she had data turned off. And wondered why texting only worked on wifi. lol

Denver, CO
reviews: 12
2. Re: T-mobile free international roaming any good?

I took mine to Switzerland/Germany a couple months ago. It worked fine. The only time I made phone calls I had a WiFi connection, so it used that. Data seemed to work fine over the cell network -- even got a welcome text message from T-Mobile as soon as the plane landed.

3. Re: T-mobile free international roaming any good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:37 am, February 10, 2014

4. Re: T-mobile free international roaming any good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, February 23, 2014

San Francisco
5. Re: T-mobile free international roaming any good?

I have been traveling on the Mediterranean side of Spain and the international coverage has been working well. I have had 4-5 bars throughout Barcelona and Costa Brava. I have been connecting to "Orange" carrier and receiving 3G speeds.

Aubrey, Texas
reviews: 144
6. Re: T-mobile free international roaming any good?

The wife took another trip to England with her TM iphone. This time she used data which she said worked fine tho slower than she's accustomed to here. Phone calls and texts worked as usual. btw her iPad mini with the free data from TM worked in England, too.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
7. Re: T-mobile free international roaming any good?

I've used it on a couple of trips to Europe and paid for the additional high speed usage. It was a good bit slower than mobile data at home but was sufficient for most of my needs. I sometimes had to wait until I found wifi to upload photos to Facebook but that was the only real impediment.

Atlanta, Georgia
8. Re: T-mobile free international roaming any good?

I'm still getting mixed information on this front. OK, so it sounds like TMo USA customers can use their smartphones (at least the iPhone) in Europe, but I'm being told locally I need to purchase something ($15/mo) to do so. From what everyone else is saying, this is not necessarily the case.

Too confusing.

Pittsburgh, PA
reviews: 24
9. Re: T-mobile free international roaming any good?

I'm going to frequently be traveling to Europe over the next 3-5 years and currently have Verizon. I have STRONGLY been considering switching back to Tmobile for the case international data/text. So thank you for posting this! I look forward to if anyone else has feedback.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
reviews: 23
10. Re: T-mobile free international roaming any good?

You don't need to purchase anything locally.

T-Mobile has unlimited voice and data roaming plans, but beware, as you may be required to have at least 60% of your usage billed in your home country for the month in order to be eligible for the unlimited rates—if I recall what I read in the terms and conditions correctly.

Reply to: T-mobile free international roaming any good?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted