We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Give me tent advices travelling and camping in California

Busan, South Korea
Give me tent advices travelling and camping in California

luckyoutdoor.com/3-to-4-person-bilayer-autom…

Do you think this tent is suitable for camping in California? It looks pretty thick and reliable.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 47
1. Re: Give me tent advices travelling and camping in California

That is an extremely low price for a 3 or 4 person tent. I'd be concerned about the quality of the tent for that price. There is also the issue this a relatively unknown brand name.

Hoquiam
reviews: 5
2. Re: Give me tent advices travelling and camping in California

Are you car camping or backpacking? How many people will be sleeping in the tent? What time of year and what kind of weather conditions do you expect to be experiencing? Camping at the beach, desert, mountains, a mix? Those are the questions I'd ask myself.

My only experience with a pop-up tent was once when camping with a group of friends. When one of them put up their pop-up tent, I was kinda jealous of the easy set-up. When it came time to take it down, I was glad to have a regular dome tent. It was a lot of work getting the pop-up to pop-down properly to fit back in the bag. But that was about 10 years ago so they could have improved since then.

The best tent I've ever had is a $50 dome tent, no name brand. Love it. I'd only buy a more expensive, name brand tent if I was doing some serious mountaineering where tent failure could endanger your life due to the extreme weather you might be experiencing.

To be honest, if you're flying from China to camp in California, I'd wait until arriving in California to buy a tent. If you're car camping, go to a WalMart, Target, or other box store, or any number of sporting goods stores and pick up a cheap tent that you can leave behind or donate when you fly home. If you're backpacking/mountaineering, head to an REI or other store that sells the better brands and grab something more lightweight there. Although, to be honest, unless you're doing some serious backpacking/mountaineering, you might be able to find a lighter, inexpensive tent that will still work fine for you at the cheaper stores.

Aubrey, Texas
reviews: 144
3. Re: Give me tent advices travelling and camping in California

You don't want a tent that's "thick" because that would mean heavy. The best tents are lightweight and easy to set up. The picture of the tent makes we wonder about the weight of the popup structure. I agree with the advice about waiting until you are here to get a tent. The big outdoor life stores like Cabelas, Outdoor World, etc. have displays of tents from which to choose. They also have all the equipment you need for camping

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 47
4. Re: Give me tent advices travelling and camping in California

I second and third the advice for buying the tent once you arrive in the USA. Less to carry in luggage and if you`re so inclined, donate it after if you really don`t want it long term, i.e. taking it home. Cabela`s and REI are only a couple of places I can think of in the USA where you can get greal deals and advice on a tent purchase.

Also, not sure how long you intend on camping or moving around to different campsites, but you will want something light and robust to last. You never know, you might even be able to rent what you need upon your arrival.

You haven`t even asked about sleeping bags yet ....

Busan, South Korea
5. Re: Give me tent advices travelling and camping in California

Thank you very much for your reply.

We totally three people are planning to camp in Big Basin Redwoods State Park, Jumbo Rocks, Near Williams Reservoir - Modoc NF, etc. during Christmas(all camping sites are from internet). Firstly we want to rent a tent there, but all of us have never been there and don’t know where to rent tents. So we change our mind to buy tents and other gadgets online and directly ship to our hotel in California (we think it is a convenient way). We don’t mind the brand name (we consider more on price because we just need to use the tent several days and finally will donate it), we just worry about whether it is wind-proof and thick enough (it seems Calif. is colder than China in this reason, yes?)

Busan, South Korea
6. Re: Give me tent advices travelling and camping in California

We have already had ides on sleeping bags and other gadgets but tents. The best way is renting a tent there but we have no idea about where to rent a tent and how much we will cost.

Busan, South Korea
7. Re: Give me tent advices travelling and camping in California

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=tents&x=0&y=0&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Tents sale on Cabelas are just too expensive for us.

We plan to backpacking there.

Aubrey, Texas
reviews: 144
8. Re: Give me tent advices travelling and camping in California

No need to pay a lot of money for a tent. Go to Walmart or a discount sporting goods store that carries Coleman tents which are good quality. Or order online as you say. Tents will act as a windbreak but will not otherwise keep you warm.

You should post in the California forum to get advice about the campgrounds you are considering during the time you will be there.

Busan, South Korea
9. Re: Give me tent advices travelling and camping in California

quote: You should post in the California forum to get advice about the campgrounds you are considering during the time you will be there.

Yeah, it is a good idea! I can even ask about whether I can rent tents during there.

Hoquiam
reviews: 5
10. Re: Give me tent advices travelling and camping in California

For the limited use you're going to need a tent for, I agree that a $50 tent is going to be just fine. Cheaper than renting or buying online and having it shipped to your hotel, and then you can donate it to a Goodwill, Salvation Army or other such charity when you leave.