We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe Railway Spain-France

reviews: 20
Europe Railway Spain-France

I'm planning to go to Europe this fall. Visiting Spain, France, and Italy.

I'll take a flight from Egypt to Spain.

And I was thinking about going from Spain to France by train, and from France to Italy.

I searched for train bookings from Barcelona to Paris, but found nothing.

1- Are there trains from Spain to France?

2- Is it cheaper to move between European countries by train, than to book a complete round flight itinerary from Egypt?

Edited: 9:23 pm, July 24, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 26
1. Re: Europe Railway Spain-France

At the moment, you can go from Barcelona to Paris by changing train at Figueres Vilavant, continuing the journey by TGV train to Paris. There is a plan to introduce a direct train from October. Whether it is going to happen or not, I don't know.

News here:

altavelocidad.org/index.php/alta-velocidad/i…

Check timetable and pricing at : www.renfe.com

See also: seat61.com/…London-Barcelona_by_daytime_train

For France to Italy, use en.voyages-sncf.com. There are direct trains from Paris Gare de Lyon to Milan by TGV trains. There is also the Thello night train from Paris to several destinations in Italy: www.thello.com

Edited: 9:59 pm, July 24, 2013
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
2. Re: Europe Railway Spain-France

<Is it cheaper to move between European countries by train, than to book a complete round flight itinerary from Egypt?>

The cheapest method for many long-distance routes (e.g. Barcelona-Paris) is using flights booked in advance from the websites of low-cost airlines, on this route Ryanair, EasyJet and Vueling, with fares on most dates in October from around €25 and sometimes lower (travel costs to and from airports must be added when comparing to train fares).

But note that baggage is charged extra, and strict dimensions and weight limits apply to both cabin and hold baggage. Note also that online check-in may be required within a specific time interval before your flight. Regulations are particularly restrictive on Ryanair, which often appears to offer the cheapest fares.

On some long-distance routes the train is cheaper for centre to centre travel - e.g. Paris-Rome where it is very hard to beat Thello's advance fare of €35 for a place in a six-couchette compartment , especially as there are no luggage restrictions/charges on the train.

reviews: 20
3. Re: Europe Railway Spain-France

Thank you so much for your prompt helpful reply! That was exactly what I was looking for

4. Re: Europe Railway Spain-France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 27, 2014