We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inter rail travel card

killarney
inter rail travel card

Hey this may be a stupid question but if i purchase a 22 continuous inter rail travel card do i still need to aquire individual tickets for each journey in taking?? Or book seats in advance?

11 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: inter rail travel card

That depends on what kinds of trains you take, and in which countries.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
2. Re: inter rail travel card

Read seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm for a comprehensive guide.

killarney
3. Re: inter rail travel card

Thanks!

killarney
4. Re: inter rail travel card

Sorry again guys but is it even worthwhile purchasing an inter rail global pass, or cheaper just to purchase our tickets for each journey individually??

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
5. Re: inter rail travel card

Afraid the only answer to it is "do the math". As a rule of thumb, in France and Spain a pass makes no sense due to mandatory reservation and high additional costs, in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Benelux countries it may make sense if you do a lot of long trips, and further East single tickets are so cheap that a pass makes no sense again.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
6. Re: inter rail travel card

And doing the maths needs decisions.

If you do it on the very cheapest advance prices available, at 90, 92 or 120 days beforehand depending on train operator, you'll get one answer and a pass will rarely be worthwhile.

If you do it using on-the day prices because you want total freedom and flexibility, you'll get another answer entirely and some passes, particularly youth passes, are more likely to be a good buy.

England
7. Re: inter rail travel card

Hi,

I just bought a 10 days in 22 days Inter rail global pass for early 2014 through SNCF. £318 including £10 P and P.

I needed to change the date, and even though I contacted them before they had chance to post is, they only offer a cancellation. This cost me £54 (64 Euro).

I'm really annoyed, and as I need one will buy directly through Inter rail, or individual journeys.

Happy traveling, Camerart.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
8. Re: inter rail travel card

Since you need a reservation to travel on most SNCF long distance trains, which the pass does not include and for which you have to pay extra, why not buy individual tickets for your trips?

England
9. Re: inter rail travel card

Cubsur,

I am travelling for one one month and I'm open to adventure, so I can't plan. On my post '1 month in Europe by train' I explain I have made three mistakes in booking so far, as you can see by the first message I posted. I'm not good at words and number details, and I check multiple times. I have to live with the consequences of my mistakes, painful as they sometimes are.

For the days I use the train pass, either I will book just before the journey, or if this isn't possible, I will simply hop on a train that looks interesting, that doesn't need booking.

Cheers, Camerart.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
10. Re: inter rail travel card

Good luck!

Reply to: inter rail travel card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions