We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in Germany

Madrid, Spain
Travelling in Germany

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are travelling to Germany in August and we'd like to visit different cities during our stay (3rd - 8th August): Düsseldorf, Köln, Bonn and Aachen. We are looking at different travelling options but don't really know which one is best and, specially, the cheapest! We've been looking at trains, but the fare does not always come up and it's also a bit confusing as there are countless number of trains and different prices. We've also considered the option of renting a car.

Any recommendations or words of advice?

Thanks so much in advance.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 44
1. Re: Travelling in Germany

Train fares are cheap in Germany especially in this area of Germany. You can buy a Nordrhein-Westfalen Lander day ticket covering all these cities for €39.50 up to 5 adults can travel on the one ticket. You can't travel before 9 am Mon to Fri or use the Express trains, ICE,IC or EC. The ticket is valid on the trams and buses in the region too. The ticket can be bought on line or from a machine if bought over the counter it cost €41.50. bahn.com/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
2. Re: Travelling in Germany

SchönerTagTicket North Rhine Westphalia

bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/prices/germany-regiona…

Between Bonn and Cologne (VRS price level 4) and Cologne and Düsseldorf (VRS price level 5) the VRS tariff applies. These are a bit cheaper than the NRW Länder-Ticket. Apart from the smaller area covered the conditions are identical with the NRW Länder-Ticket.

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: Travelling in Germany

I would like to travel from Frankfurt to Munich and spend a day in Munich before returning to Frankfurt. Please advise what is the cheapest ticket that I should buy for a family of 5 persons? Do I buy a mixture of 2 tickets eg. City to City ticket or Savers Ticket + a Lander Ticket which allows for whole day unlimited travel on all trains in Munich? Or just 1 Lander ticket is sufficient?

We are in Germany for 10 days and would be travelling to other cities as well, so is a 10-Day German Rail Pass a cheaper choice compared to buying different tickets for travel to each city eg. Berlin, Koblenz, Mainz etc.

Appreciate your urgent advice.

Thank You.

Elsie

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 26
4. Re: Travelling in Germany

>>Appreciate your urgent advice.<<

By that phrase, I would assume that you are travelling soon? If you had planned ahead, and seek advice in this forum in advance, you would have been able to save heaps on discounted tickets.

Anyway, assuming you are travelling this month (May), and you still do not know where in Germany you are travelling, then yes, a German pass would be good value.

The prices are here:

bahn.de/i/…germanrailpass.shtml

So, assuming there are 5 of you, 2 twin passes and 1 single pass would be needed, at a cost of 2x€ 356 + 1x€ 222, for a total of 934 Euros for 5 days, or roughly € 186 per group/per day.

Use your German pass only for the long distance journeys, such as Frankfurt to Munich, Munich to Berlin etc., otherwise you will not get the value from it.

If you had decided to plan ahead, however, Frankfurt to Munich would cost as cheap as € 39 on some departures.

The Laender ticket would of course be useful for your stay in Munich, and cost € 38 for all 5 in the group

bahn.de/i/…

You should also check this out (costs € 76 for 5 persons)

bahn.de/i/…

I can't comment on suitability since I do not know your itinerary

5. Re: Travelling in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 01, 2015
Get answers to your questions