We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets

Cambridge, United...
Tickets

I've never been on a train before so some of these questions may seem pretty stupid!

Say I wanted to travel from Station A to C, but the route involved A to B, then B to C - could I book the ticket in person a week before at another station which isn't involved in the journey?

A to B is with one train service provider and B to C is with another, does this make any difference?

The price of the total journey is £33 on thetrainline.com, £12 A to B and £21 B to C, would this price differ and if so by how much if I booked at the station about a week in advance?

I'm 16 so would a child ticket be a good idea?

1. Re: Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:02 pm, July 24, 2013
Bucks
reviews: 2
2. Re: Tickets

1) You can buy tickets between any two stations, so if you want to go from A to C, you should buy an A to C ticket and forget about B (unless you want to stop off there). There will be 'A-C' prices, these are not necessarily the sum of A-B + B-C.

2) You can buy at thetrainline with a booking fee, or buy at a train company site such as www.eastcoast.co.uk or www.virgintrains.co.uk with no fee (so yes, it's a no brainer to use a train company site!).

All websites sell the same fares at the same prices, it doesn't matter who operates what train, all operators work together on ticketing as 'National rail'. Tickets are valid on any operator, unless it specifically says 'Virgin Trains only' or whatever. I'd start with the common site, www.nationalrail.co.uk, it hands you off to the best operator site for ticket purchase based on the route.

3) You haven't said what the journey is. On long distances, you can buy Advance tickets, which are train-specific, no refunds, limited or no changes, price varies like air fares, book early for the cheapest rates, eg London-Edinburgh from £18. Or fixed-price Off-Peak and Anytime fares that can be bought on the day at the same prices.

So without knowing whether that £33 is an Off-Peak fare that will still be £33 on the day of travel, or an Advance fare that could sell out and become the next price level up, perhaps £43 if you waited another day to book it, nobody can tell you.

4) Child fares are for under-16, so you'd need an adult fare.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 83
3. Re: Tickets

Welcome to TA James. Could you give a bit more specific information? This is an international forum so, which country are you traveling in?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
4. Re: Tickets

If it was say Cambridge to Ely, go to station, buy ticket (day return if you are coming back same day) get on train.

As you will have gathered, long distance train ticket prices are not exactly straightforward. Greater minds than yours have admitted defeat in the past. The more information we have, like the actual journey, the better the experts can help out.

Kent, UK
reviews: 9
5. Re: Tickets

This set of quesitons is too vauge to give proper answers. Where is A, where is B and where is C? And what tickets are you looking at? In general non-Advance tickets allow a break of journey (usually) so need to buy two tickets, unless the split is over several days.

Oh, and don't use thetrainline.

6. Re: Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 27, 2014