We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Amsterdam to London by train on boxing day

Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 1
Getting from Amsterdam to London by train on boxing day

I (and 3 others) are intending to travel from Amsterdam to London on the 26th December 2013 (this year) by train but I can't book or even get a schedule. I tried the journey planner/find your tickets search, they are only clickable until around 14th November, the rest of the dates are sort of fainter in colour and I just can't click on them. I've tried thalys, eurostar, euro railways, Ns (from netherlands) and I'm just totally confused. This is the first time we will be travelling in Europe so we'd like to get as much sorted before we actually get there. Can anyone please help me? Thank you

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 24
1. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to London by train on boxing day

the horizon for booking in advance is usually 90 days prior to travel date (with some exceptions such as Trenitalia, Eurostar and some CityNightline trains).

That being said, your situation gets more complicated because there is a Europe wide timetable change on December 8th - this makes the window for getting anything beyond the 8th Dec even shorter than 90 days

. There is nothing you can do about it, except checking frequently.

Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 1
2. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to London by train on boxing day

Thank you so much your info..at least now I know why I haven't been able to book anything

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
3. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to London by train on boxing day

The Europe-wide timetable change this year occurs on December 15.

Bucks
reviews: 2
4. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to London by train on boxing day

Don't forget UK rail shuts down on Xmas Day and Boxing Day. NO TRAINS for two days!

There are only one of two exceptions: Eurostar and the Underground run a skeleton service on boxing day, so you might just make it on one of those few Eurostars, but don't expect to get anywhere outside London by train that day.

Edited: 5:02 am, July 24, 2013
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
5. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to London by train on boxing day

Brighton?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
6. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to London by train on boxing day

Southern did run an hourly service from Victoria to Gatwick and Brighton on December 26th last year but as above very few trains run on December 26th anywhere in the UK. Plans are normally announced around late October / early November. Don't expect any trains after about 7pm even if they are running.

On 26th December last year most London Underground drivers were on strike. The same may happen this year if they again ask for treble pay and a day off. Management said we cannot afford that, so no-one got paid anything. That was in fact the third year running such a dispute affected travel in London.

Basically forget travel by rail in the UK on 26th December, unless you are very fortunate to be near a station that is open.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
7. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to London by train on boxing day

< Brighton? >

Fly to Gatwick and nearer the date see if there are trains / coaches operating, if not pre-book a taxi from a Brighton company

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 64
8. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to London by train on boxing day

"On 26th December last year most London Underground drivers were on strike. The same may happen this year if they again ask for treble pay and a day off."

They've got a cheek. Aren't they already on something ridiculous like £40k per year?

Thousands of people have to work bank holidays every year on normal pay - usually just minimum wage!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
9. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to London by train on boxing day

£47,000 a year on average, according the archived reports. Not that I would like their shifts even for that.

The UK is I think the only European country where no train service (indeed very little public transport at all) runs on 25th and 26th December, allowing for the fact that 26th December is not a holiday in most.

10. Re: Getting from Amsterdam to London by train on boxing day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 27, 2014