We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking on the renfe website a train from Madrid to Lourdes

San Francisco...
reviews: 24
booking on the renfe website a train from Madrid to Lourdes

On the renfe website I tried to buy a train ticket from Madrid, Spain to Lourdes, France; however when I click the search button I get a blank page, so I assume that I must pick a station in Spain and then, from that location, book a train to Lourdes. I am lost as I cannot find a solution on the renfe website.

Has anyone dealt with this problem? If yes, I appreciate you sharing you solution with me and the TA community.

Sydney, Australia
1. Re: booking on the renfe website a train from Madrid to Lourdes

There are regular TER trains from Toulouse Matabiau to Lourdes (which do not require prior booking). My guess is you cannot book directly to Lourdes via Renfe, try booking Madrid to Toulouse Matabiau.

I don't know if there is an easier way.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
2. Re: booking on the renfe website a train from Madrid to Lourdes

While the RENFE website does accept Toulouse as a destination, in practice it won't let you book further than Narbonne on the route to Toulouse.

From Narbonne look at http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ - for tips on use see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

With options for which a change of train is required at Figueres, you may be better using http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ from that point.

As an alternative, EasyJet flies cheaply and direct from Madrid to Toulouse, but not very day.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
3. Re: booking on the renfe website a train from Madrid to Lourdes

I agree. There is no point in trying to book a ticket with Lourdes as a destination when starting from Spain as the trains between Toulouse and Lourdes are non reservable.

Some time in October there will be direct trains available between Barcelona and Toulouse. It is be hoped that RENFE wil actually allow tickets to be bought.

It is also possible to travel to Lourdes via a different route. Local trains run from Barcelona to Latour de Carol, on the border and right in the mountains. From there, local trains run to Toulouse and from Toulouse it's a two hour run to Lourdes. Careful planning is needed as there wil be only three or four possible journeys per day via that route.

None of these trains are reservable and on the Spanish side are very cheap.

Take a look at this page

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187175-c144262/Toulo…

Edited: 3:54 am, July 22, 2013
San Francisco...
4. Re: booking on the renfe website a train from Madrid to Lourdes

Thanks guys I very much appreciate your help; we are traveling in October 2013, and we have never, ever visited Madrid. We are looking forward to our train trip, so a plane ride is definitely out.

I did a google map search, and Toulouse is on the Mediterranean Side. Is it possible to take a renfe train from Madrid to a city on the Atlantic side of Spain or France? And then from there, travel by train to Lourdes?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
5. Re: booking on the renfe website a train from Madrid to Lourdes

You can travel by train from Madrid to Hendaye, just in France, and from there you can get to Lourdes via Bayonne and Pau. Trains are very infrequent so be prepared for long waits.

Check Spanish times at www.renfe.com - reservation is essential. Journey time in daytime Madrid to Hendaye just short of 6 hours,

Check French times at www.voyages-sncf.com - reservation is not essential in Intercités trains and not available on TER (regional) trains.

But, the railway between Pau and Lourdes is currently closed, having been badly damaged by floodwater in June. There is no date as yet for it to be re-opened. Meanwhile buses are being used to bridge the gap with a consequent long increase in journey times.

I hope that helps.

New York City, New...
6. Re: booking on the renfe website a train from Madrid to Lourdes

Just for your info, I was able to reserve a ticket for the Toulouse-Lourdes train through SNCF. The ticket cannot be printed out, but can be collected at the Toulouse train station using the email confirmation. I'm going to Lourdes from Barcelona via Toulouse (by bus, hopefully no problem getting ticket as ALSA bus website doesn't take U.S. credit card). From Lourdes I go to Paris for which I have already booked a TGV train.

Hammond, Louisiana
reviews: 4
7. Re: booking on the renfe website a train from Madrid to Lourdes

I don't know where to post this, but can anyone tell what Cod Promo means when booking Renfe trains. I would love to take advantage if itis something I could fill in and benefit from????

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
8. Re: booking on the renfe website a train from Madrid to Lourdes

Caramuru - well done. Some of the Toulouse - Lourdes trains can be reserved although it isn't essential and you have probably saved a few €.

For other readers, 8th August is the date for the resumption of train service between Pau and Lourdes and thus the route to Lourdes via Hendaye and Bayonne.

I cannot help directly with the Cod Promo item on RENFE but this very valuable Trip Advisor page does seem to have the information

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Promo fares are, by the look of it, heavily discounted tickets for certain trains at certain times, probably non exchangeable and non refundable.

9. Re: booking on the renfe website a train from Madrid to Lourdes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 03, 2014