We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train de Nuit?

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 6
Train de Nuit?

We're planning a trip to France in May and we were hoping to take the Paris-Nice overnight train. It isn't on the schedule today as I look at schedules and fares. Is it gone? Is there another nice overnight ride from Paris south where we could transfer in the morning to get to Nice anytime that day?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
1. Re: Train de Nuit?

I don't know where you were looking, but the SNCF's web site shows an Intercités Night train leaving Paris Gare Austerlitz at 21.23 and arriving Nice Central at 08.41. It would not be my choice as a way of spending over 11 hours and more than €100.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which usually has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 26
2. Re: Train de Nuit?

Still available, according to 'Man in seat61', see

www.seat61.com/France-trains.htm#.UTPeP6IWC84

I checked the pricing at www.tgv-europe.com/en, price is € 108 (Leisure ticket), or € 172 full price

Bucks
reviews: 2
3. Re: Train de Nuit?

Book this at www.tgv-europe.com - if you're from the USA, enter 'Afghanistan' as your country, NOT United States, to avoid being bumped to Rail Europe.

Booking opens 92 days ahead.

This train should run daily, but sometimes it's late opening for sale (meaning the 92 days might become 60 or less) due to engineering work, and occasionally they cancel it on some dates.

This train is comfortable enough in the 2nd class 6-berth or 1st class 4-berth couchettes, and it feels really quick, as you have a few hours fun evening together in your compartment, then sleep, and you're there!

It also saves a hotel bill. Prices start from €35 with couchette in 6-berth, but they vary like air fares.

The daytime journey takes 5 1/4 hours by double-decker TGV Duplex, with some lovely scenery along the way both in the Rhone Valley and along the coast in Provence between Toulon and Nice, do consider this. Fares from €25 each way.

Whichever train you take, may I recommend a meal at the famous Train Bleu restaurant inside the Gare de Lyon itself? The set lunch is €56 including a half bottle of wine, and it's an experience in itself. http://www.le-train-bleu.com/uk/index.php

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
4. Re: Train de Nuit?

My Thomas Cook timetable book helpfully says, for that night train. that "days of running are subject to confirmation". I suspect therefore that if it is not in the reservation system by now for dates in May it might not be running.

There is a lot of reconstruction work taking place around the south resulting in the complete suspension of train services on some dates. Unlike many countries, French railways do not usually provide substitute buses when long distance trains are cancelled.

5. Re: Train de Nuit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 06, 2014