We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage on train Amsterdam to London

Oak Park, California
reviews: 3
Luggage on train Amsterdam to London

We will be disembarking from a 12-day cruise and we each have one large and one carry on also each has a backpack. We are staying in London for 5 days. What are the problems, if any, for taking this luggage on the train?

10 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Luggage on train Amsterdam to London

The problem will be in carrying it on board and finding somewhere to put it.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 34
2. Re: Luggage on train Amsterdam to London

If travelling by Eurostar you have to get a Dutch train or Thalys service to Brussels Zuid/Midi then change to the Eurostar. Brussels Midi/Zuid isn't very user friendly but you should find some luggage trolleys there.

You then have to wheel down to the Eurostar terminal with its airline check in proceedures. There is plenty of room at the end of each carriage of the Eurostar though at peak times it can get full there is also overhead storage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22097570@N05/5336712892/

An alternative is to take the Hoek van Holland to Harwich Ferry then connecting train to London Liverpool Street http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 19
3. Re: Luggage on train Amsterdam to London

The original poster may wish to have it underlined that railways in Europe, also Eurostar, do not offer checked baggage service. There are theoretical restrictions on weight/size but in general if you can carry or wheel it, it goes on.

Trains do have baggage space in each carriage and the only problem, as others have said, might be finding space to put it if the train is very busy.

Oak Park, California
4. Re: Luggage on train Amsterdam to London

Thanks so much for your replies. I am beginning to believe that train travel Amsterdam to London could be very inconvenient.

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 175
5. Re: Luggage on train Amsterdam to London

I have travelled on many trains, including Amsterdam to London, with three bags (one large, one holdall and a rucksack). If you reasonably mobile and strong enough to carry whatever it is that they weigh, it should not be too much of a problem.

If you will find it difficult to carry or wheel your bags into the station, up and down ramps/escalators and along the platform, then I would suggest it might be better to find an alternative.

I have never faield to find somewhere to store the bags once on board a train. It may be that the storage area might need a little rearranging, but I have always managed to stow my belognings safely somewhere.

Bucks
reviews: 2
6. Re: Luggage on train Amsterdam to London

Train travel is far more convenient than air travel.

The train goes city centre to city centre with one easy change, not just airport to airport, and unlike the budget airlines who try and trip you up with their baggage restrictions, weight limits and extra charges, you can pretty much take what you like by train, with no weight limits or other problems.

There's always plenty of luggage rack space, the backpack sized bags will fit on the overhead racks above every seat.

Obviously, if you bring it, you carry it, but surely you wouldn't pack and bring more bags than you can physically manage yourself, that's just common sense.

Edited: 5:39 pm, November 29, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
7. Re: Luggage on train Amsterdam to London

In my opinion, train travel is only (always) more convenient than air travel if

1) you don't have to change trains; depending also on 2) : however, Amsterdam to London requires at least 1 change at Bruxelles-Midi; potentially another in the Netherlands depending on where exactly the cruiseship arrives - and takes up to 7 hrs (although as UK time is 1 hr behind continental time, travel in that direction will appear to take 1 hr less than it does).

2 you don't have too much luggage: "too much" being more than you can easily carry, given that there are NO porters, anywhere; and also, whether you are taking a train that is designed for(large quantities of) it - e.g. Eurostar; or not - e.g. normal InterCity trains.

The alternative of train + ferry + train is in my opinion less, not more convenient for someone put off Thalys+Eurostar trip because of the amount of luggage they have - which for people coming off a cruise can be considerable - and I would have to say the most convenient way to get to London, IF of course prepared for potential excess baggage charges, would be by air from Amsterdam Schiphol.

Re changing in Brussels: it would be easiest to take the high-speed Thalys between Amsterdam and Brussels rather than the non-high-speed InterCity service. Thalys is better designed for luggage, a lot faster (especially now that they have made IC service on that route slower!) and arrives at Bruxelles-Midi at platform 3, 4, 5 or 6. Eurostar platforms are 1 and 2,so where you get off Thalys and come into the main concourse you will be right next to the Eurostar terminal. You must, however, give yourself enough time to ensure that you can check in for Eurostar minimum 30 mins before train departure, as you have to "check in" and go through passport controls (because UK is outside Schengen visa union) and airline-style security checks (because train goes through the Channel Tunnel).

Anyway, given the length of the train journey, from Amsterdam I would definitely fly to London - until and unless they ever introduce a direct night train! Unless you are able to book the trains 3 months in advance, it isn't any more expensive to fly and may even be considerably cheaper.

Bucks
reviews: 2
8. Re: Luggage on train Amsterdam to London

Of course, if you fly, that's two or even three changes!

Flying means a total of 3 or even 4 hours of disjointed train-then-plane-then-bus-then-train journey compared to the 4.5 to 5 relaxed hours typically taken by Thalys and Eurostar centre to centre, employed chatting or reading with a glass of wine..

If you fly, you still have to carry your luggage onto the train from Amsterdam Centraal to Schiphol (porters went out with lady's maids, valets and butlers), take it from train to plane, off the plane onto the train from Heathrow to Paddington. Or onto the bus from Luton Airport to Luton Airport Parkway Station, then onto the train from Luton Airport Parkway to St Pancras. Or the train from Stansted to London Liverpool Street.

Far better to go direct from Amsterdam Centraal to Brussels in comfort, a quick change (probably closer from Thalys arriving on platforms 5,4 or 3 to Eurostar leaving from platforms 1 or 2 than from train to plane at an airport station) for a direct Eurostar to central London, taxi to hotel.

Edited: 7:01 am, December 01, 2012
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
9. Re: Luggage on train Amsterdam to London

< I am beginning to believe that train travel Amsterdam to London could be very inconvenient. >

Like airports it becomes inconvenient when you decide to travel with more than you can carry, otherwise it's just like airports except noisier and windier but with shorter distances to walk and less queues

You also don't have ritual humiliation and sexual assault to worry about.

Edited: 4:28 am, December 03, 2012
UK
reviews: 24
10. Re: Luggage on train Amsterdam to London

Man_in_Seat_61 - you've forgotten one of the London airports, and that's London City. If my destination was Central London I wouldn't dream of flying to any of the outlying airports.

I'd say that flying to LCY is marginally more convenient than using Eurostar or the train/ferry combination via Hoek van Holland (personally I prefer the latter, but that's probably because I live closer to Harwich than London).

Reply to: Luggage on train Amsterdam to London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted