We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail Europe

London
reviews: 36
Rail Europe

I would like to issue a serious warning regarding Rail Europe. I called 3 weeks ago to enquire about a train trip from Munich Airport to Leogang in Austria (3 hour trip) and the person quoted me £66 return per person. He also confirmed 3 times that 12 year old children in Germany had to pay adult fares on the trains - this seemed very strange.

I subsequently called Deutsche Bahn in the UK (German national rail network) who confirmed that all under 14s in Germany travel free of charge when travelling with their parents/grandparents.

Rail Europe were thus trying to rip us by off to the tune of £132 by taking 100% commission. BE WARNED! ALWAYS GO TO THAT COUNTRY'S NATIONAL RAIL WEBSITE.

Edited: 9:35 pm, October 12, 2012
64 replies to this topic
London
1. Re: Rail Europe

I would like to issue a serious warning regarding Rail Europe. I called 3 weeks ago to enquire about train trip from Munich Airport to Leogang in Austria (3 hour trip) and the person quoted me £66 return per person. He also confirmed 3 times that 12 year old children in Germany had to pay adult fares on the trains - this seemed very strange.

I subsequently called Deutsche Bahn in the UK (German national rail network) who confirmed that all under 14s in Germany travel free of charge when travelling with their parents/grandparents.

Rail Europe were thus trying to rip us by £132 by taking 100% commission. BE WARNED! ALWAYS GO TO THAT COUNTRY'S NATIONAL RAIL WEBSITE.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 65
2. Re: Rail Europe

Good advice - which is the same advice that is always given on the Train Travel forum: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_…

NEVER use Rail Europe.

ALWAYS book train tickets through that countries National Rail or local Train Operating Company/Companies website - and that includes in the UK too !

Edited: 7:38 am, October 12, 2012
UK
reviews: 88
3. Re: Rail Europe

In what way is this related to the UK?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
4. Re: Rail Europe

OP is from London, OP contacted DB UK.

But as general advice goes always book direct with the company who operates the trains whenever possible. There are some cases (eg Eurostar & the US) when an inappropriate choice of country redirects you to RE but a simple clearing of cookies and going back to the site under a different nationality generally solves that.

Which just leaves the problem of actually paying for tickets which could be anything from simples to something that would stump the collective talents of Einstein, Newton, Stephen Fry AND Boris Johnson(yes that hard)

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 65
5. Re: Rail Europe

Rail Europe rip-off people in the UK as well as the rest of the world.

And the OP contacted the Deutsche Bahn office in the UK.

Edited: 8:01 am, October 12, 2012
London
6. Re: Rail Europe

I contacted Rail Europe in the UK. Their mandate seems to be to rip off and lie to Brits travelling on trains in Europe. offices in Piccadilly

Denver, Colorado
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
7. Re: Rail Europe

Hi all,

Just popping in to mention that we've moved this topic here to the Train Travel forum where it will be more accessible to those who are researching or sharing information on the same subject.

Thanks to everyone for participating!

TA_Louise

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
8. Re: Rail Europe

It is an even bigger rip off if you use the US or Australian version.

As a rule it should not be used for tickets anywhere in Europe except for buying tickets in and from France as it is a subsidiary of SNCF, and if you are from out of Europe, follow the instructions in www.seat61.com to avoid paying many times more than you should.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
9. Re: Rail Europe

Or see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Australia
reviews: 9
10. Re: Rail Europe

Having read the above helpful comments re Rail Europe, I need some advise. Travelling in Germany April 2013, we are planning on travelling by train to various places, at this stage I don't have an itenerary to think about point to point tickets, so am wondering if a German rail pass would be the best option. If so where can I buy the cheapest pass (2 seniors). Also does the German rail pass allow me to get from Zurich to Berlin overnight train. We would probabley make about 5 -6 trips. Thanks

Reply to: Rail Europe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted